BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

i have concern about SAS jobs. I was using Base SAS 9.2 to create SAS program for reporting area and most of the time i schedule job using windows scheduler. Now i move to the SAS Enterprise Guide 4.2, this is totally kind of new for me so wanted to know from you guys that is there any way i can schedule SAS job using EG and not using windows scheduler? below is the link which tell the way i used to do with base sas 9.2 and using windows job Scheduler.

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi27/p276-27.pdf

now i wanted to know is SAS EG having this kind of facility where you don't need to use windows scheduler to schedule your sas jobs. Is there any create SAS job wizards present? Like for example i have used SAS DI studio in which you can create job and you can schedule too, so the same i wanted to know using SAS EG. Help Appreciate. Thanks in Advance.

Thanks,

Tushar J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Usually if you have a problem like this a search through SAS support will provide the answers, like this link:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/04/17/doing-more-with-sas-enterprise-guide-automation/

Esssentially you have at two choices:

1) Use EG itself to schedule your project

2) Export your project to SAS code files and schedule these with an external scheduler

You now also have the ability to schedule your jobs through SAS Management Console if your site has the SAS supplied LSF scheduler installed and you have access to SMC.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Usually if you have a problem like this a search through SAS support will provide the answers, like this link:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/04/17/doing-more-with-sas-enterprise-guide-automation/

Esssentially you have at two choices:

2) Export your project to SAS code files and schedule these with an external scheduler

You now also have the ability to schedule your jobs through SAS Management Console if your site has the SAS supplied LSF scheduler installed and you have access to SMC.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

There is a third, hybrid option.  You can write your own automation script (using info in the link that SASKiwi provided), and then schedule that script using a tool of your choice.  Because you are automating Enterprise Guide, the scheduling tool must run on your PC or at least be able to launch applications on your PC at the appointed time. 

That is, you don't have to rely on EG to do the scheduling (via its integration with the Windows Scheduler), but you still need a client-based script and a method to run it "unattended".

If you want to run as a traditional SAS batch job (as you're accustomed to), you would have to export the code into a SAS program and proceed from there.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply Chris@SAS,

i will check the other tool also for the automation. I am actually more concern about the SAS Console management and LSF shedular like SASKiwi mentioned. i believe scheduling job using this will be appropriate. what all i wanted to know is which is best and most of the time used currently in SAS project to schedule job.

Thanks Again.

Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello SASKiwi,

Thanks for your reply. you said

so can you just provide me any link or the steps using this i can schedule my code to run on given time. Also i have sas console management installed that i have verified so it will be also very helpfull if you preovide me link for this also.

Again Thanks.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here is a good place to get started if you want to do server-side scheduling in SAS Management Console:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/scheduleug/61559/PDF/default/scheduleug.pdf

Please note SMC only does job deployment and scheduling. You can't monitor or check job statuses. For that you have to go to Platform Computing Process Manager, a separate client component. Also SAS logs have to be examined separately in the tool of your choice - I just use Windows Explorer and Notepad for that. I live in hope that SAS will provide a more integrated solution in the future Smiley Wink

Tushar
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for this link SASKiwi.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation