BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello All,

I have created a sas internal account in smc and assigned the groups of database user and other permissoins in smc. but when i try to open the server and libraries in E.G again it is asking password and user. when i try to give the internal account user and password the tables are appearing.

if I enter the OS user (user created on operating system and assigned the permissions in SMC) then as usual all the libraries and tables are accessible . 

my question is : sas internal users cant access database table through E.G?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
@vallsas about your confusion about is account: you are not prompted for that because you are trying to access Oracle, it's because you need a SAS session first to even be able to access Oracle. And that session usually uses an OS account.
Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @vallsas,

as far as I know, you do need an OS account. Simple: with EG, SAS is creating a Workspace Server session, which means, an OS process (sas.exe, on your name), hence the requirement of the OS account.

This is because by default, the Workspace Server is configured with Host Authentication.

There is an exception, though, which could be a bit technical, but it might be useful to you: If the workspace server would be configured with SAS token Authentication (such as the Stored Process server), then all your Workspace server sessions would run on the OS level with a single OS account, and then, you can set internal SAS accounts to run Workspace Server sessions.

I normally do not set SAS Token Authentication on Workspace server on Windows' SAS deployments, but it is a quite common practice on Linux deployments (as long as you are aware of the impact on Security on the fact every SAS session would run with a single OS account on the OS level).

vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you Juans, Do you have any reference documents or examples for linux environment -sas internal account database configuration or access..

thanks in advance!!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What database are you accessing and what accounts do you use? Do you use an OS account or an account that is only defined in the database? Until you provide more information we can't help you easily.

Also as @JuanS_OCS has already stated, please understand that SAS internal accounts cannot be used to directly connect to an external database as that database has no knowledge of them. 

vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9

I am using oracle database but you are asking do you use an OS account? i already mentioned i want to access oracle database by sas internal account.

i understand @JuanS_OCS message as mentioned there is a possibility thats why i asked the if any references.. 

After my own investigation its not possible to access database tables by sas internal account. its clear if you still see any possibility. please post otherwise thanks for the reply.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@vallsas - there are two basic ways to access Oracle:

1. Using a user account only defined in Oracle
  2. Using an OS user account that Oracle authenticates with the OS to confirm it is valid

SAS internal accounts can only be used with SAS token authentication as explained by @JuanS_OCS. Even with this approach you will still need a single user account only defined in Oracle (probably set up by your Oracle DBA) to be shared by all SAS users - see 1 above.

In other words SAS internal accounts by themselves will not work with Oracle, you also need an Oracle account to act as the token.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
@vallsas about your confusion about is account: you are not prompted for that because you are trying to access Oracle, it's because you need a SAS session first to even be able to access Oracle. And that session usually uses an OS account.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation