BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

Can anyone shed some light on what this error means?  I did actually open the file referenced and it opens manually, but when I run the job in Windows Task Scheduler, it says it is in use.  Thank you!

ERROR: You cannot open REPORTS.DAILYREPORT3RESALECON.DATA for output access with member-level control because
REPORTS.DAILYREPORT3RESALECON.DATA is in use by you in resource environment IOM ROOT COMP ENV.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

I ended up opening an empty EG project and copying the current code module and all output modules into the new EG.  I also deleted all the SAS output Excel files out of the output folder. It has run successfully for the past three days. I still do not know why this error occurs to begin with but this solved it for now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Usually this means that you have the data set open in another app, such as SAS Enterprise Guide.  Make sure that all of your EG sessions are closed when you try to run something in a scheduled task -- if possible.  Especially if you're working with the same data.

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.
cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

I just shut the machine down, restarted and re-ran and it worked.  There are many many files in that code.  I don't know why just that file was hung up, but it looks like it is resolved.  Thanks.

ballardw
Super User

One cause of that type of message is that you are examining the properties of a data set using one of the tools such as SAS Explorer or have the table open in table view and did not shut the window prior to running the code.

cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

The weird thing is -  it says "opened by you"  which would mean someone opened that file on that machine using some SAS tool but none are open.  I am having ongoing issues with this particular EG project. It is very large and I don't have time to rewrite at the moment but I think it just has too many output files.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The "IOM ROOT COMP ENV" is a give-away -- the file is held by a process that's in a SAS Workspace server, probably with SAS Enterprise Guide or the SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office as the client.  If you think all of your EG sessions are closed, you might want to check Task Manager for SEGuide.exe instances.  

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.
cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

So something in the SAS server is holding the file?  I am not expecting you to know for sure but you think it is a server thing?

cbrotz
Pyrite | Level 9

I ended up opening an empty EG project and copying the current code module and all output modules into the new EG.  I also deleted all the SAS output Excel files out of the output folder. It has run successfully for the past three days. I still do not know why this error occurs to begin with but this solved it for now.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation