BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bnawrocki
Quartz | Level 8

One day recently, SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 stopped working. That is, I would select SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 in the Windows Start menu (as I always did) and nothing happened - no splash/opening screen, nothing. I checked Windows Event Viewer, and it shows the error below.

Our IT group couldn't figure out what's going on (others in my group have no problem running SAS EG). So, they gave me a new laptop and SAS EG was working when I left their office. But working at home (via VPN) a few days later, my new laptop (which still runs base SAS 9.4 OK) won't open SAS EG 8.3. Instead, I see this same error on Windows Event Viewer. I haven't installed anything on the new laptop since I left our IT office last week.

Has anyone seen this error before? Any ideas what might be happening?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: seguide.exe, version: 8.3.0.103, time stamp: 0x5f297a62

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000005dfe6c4e

Faulting process id: 0x295c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d92b4b650097e8

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASEnterpriseGuide\8\seguide.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 87c2585a-aa94-414b-9796-c49eaeeff7ed

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Agree with @AlanC - a crash at this level indicates incomplete/corrupted install, either from components in the app or from a dependency. I recommend that you reinstall from the original SAS software depot.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

seguide is crashing, most likely on a dll dependency (my guess). Look at messages before it in the event viewer. Best thing to do is to reinstall. It could be any of a number of issues (security, missing dll, C++ libraries, etc.).

It might be able to be debugged in place but it isn't worth the hassle. 

BTW, install it while away from the office. It may not be able to find a dll that was on the network share while you were in the office.

https://github.com/savian-net
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Agree with @AlanC - a crash at this level indicates incomplete/corrupted install, either from components in the app or from a dependency. I recommend that you reinstall from the original SAS software depot.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Connie_McManus
Calcite | Level 5

I have exactly the same problem. More or less the same date. Live in Brazil. I cannot find a solution. Tried various.

Any help is welcome.

Connie_McManus
Calcite | Level 5

I just uninstalled the last Windows update and everything is working again.

bnawrocki
Quartz | Level 8

I can't roll back Windows updates, as they are mandated by my workplace IT group.

Luckily, my IT support person remembered during SAS Enterprise Guide installation there was a suggestion of installing the 32-bit version of SAS EG (even though I have a 64-bit Windows 10 laptop). She installed that version, and the 32-bit version works! So I'm OK for now.

Based on your experience - Connie_McManus - it does seem that SAS Enterprise Guide 64-bit was negatively affected by a Windows update.

bmohamm2
Calcite | Level 5

I had similar issue today ( may be not exactly). After spending several hours troubleshooting because the SAS EG will blink  and will not display. I was able to rectify it by partitioning (Windows Key + Left or Right Arrow Key) my desktop to see where SAS EG was hidden. That allowed me to find and expand it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation