BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you're running SAS Enterprise Guide 7.11, you'll soon see the news (if you have auto-update enabled) that the v7.12 updates are available.  Here's what you'll get:

• Ability to zoom in and out of your working views of data, code, and various ODS results.  My favorite new thing!
  • A difference in how Save vs. Save All saves your project and file work.  File this under "how it should have been all along".  Read the What's New for details.
  • Output options to save your task and program output to Excel (using ODS EXCEL) or PowerPoint (using ODS POWERPOINT).  Both features need only Base SAS in SAS 9.4m3 -- you do not need the SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office for these features.
  • Better support for referencing external files within your project (doc, PDF, image files, etc.).  You can open these files with their associated applications, and also "open file location" to launch a Windows Explorer view.

About the update process

The auto-update process is a little different this time, as you're moving from v7.11 to v7.12 -- a version update, and not just a "hotfix".  It has two steps: first, a hotfix to v7.11 to set the stage for the version update, then a subsequent update to apply the new v7.12.  Both updates run quickly and you'll be up and running with the new version within minutes.

Here's are screenshots from the SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office, which uses the same update process:

First, the v7.11 update:

ud1.png

Then, the v7.12 update (with localizations if you have non-English versions!):

ud2.png

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
12 REPLIES 12
AndreasMenrath
Pyrite | Level 9

"Better support for referencing external files within your project (doc, PDF, image files, etc.).  You can open these files with their associated applications, and also "open file location" to launch a Windows Explorer view."

That's a cool feature i've been missing for a long time! Great work!

pchegoor
Pyrite | Level 9

Chris,

No  doubt , these  are Great Features  in 7.12.

Unfortunately  while testing the new SAS  EG  Version 7.12 i  came  across few bugs which  i  felt were very obvious  and should have been caught  before this  New  version was shipped out. Felt  disappointed.

I  did  bring this  to the attention  of the SAS  Tech Support  and they  acknowledged these  bugs .

We at  our  Organization wanted to roll  out  this New version for  the entire Users  but  because of the above  bugs  we decided to postpone the rollout  until  these  are fixed . Not  sure of the timeline as to when the fix will be in place  by  SAS EG  R&D Team.For now we still are sticking with SAS EG  5.1  version. 

One  obvious  bug  i noticed was while deleting a  Program Node under  the Process flow in SAS EG 7.12 .  Basically I  opened   2 existing programs in SAS EG  and  while deleting  second program (under the  first  program node) under Process flow   by  Right clicking and choosing Delete  i  end with a  Pop up  Error message :  SAS Enterprise guide encountered a  Problem  - Object  Reference not set to an Instance of an Object.   We use  SAS EG connected to Remote  SAS server (  AIX  server on which  SAS  is installed).

Hoping  that we will  be able to rollout  this New version  for all users Soon.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi @pchegoor,

The bug you mentioned (also noted here: http://tsdsrv05.unx.sas.com:7777/iw/docs/sasnotes/​fusion/57/979.html) was fixed in 7.12 HF2, which released today.  You should get notification in EG 7.12 the next time you start EG or if you click Help->Check for updates (if your admin allows Check for Updates) that the new update (7.12 HF2) is available.  You can then single-click to install it.  Or you can download and apply the traditional way from here:

http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/Y39​.html

Sorry for the inconvenience that bug may have caused.  We too were disappointed that it slipped through.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

pchegoor
Pyrite | Level 9

@CaseySmith Thanks for  the  Update .   Yes i  did  install the  Latest  Hotfix and did it  fix  the  Issues i have noticed. 

Thanks again  for the Prompt Attention  to  the Issues.

MarkBodt_NZ
Obsidian | Level 7

The Check for Updates feature does not seem to work if the site has a proxy for Internet access - which most enterprise environments have. There doesn't appear to be anywhere in EG the proxy can be defined.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The Check for Updates feature will work with a proxy.  You have to specify the proxy settings in the EG config files.  See this SASNote for details... http://support.sas.com/kb/59/460.html.

MarkBodt_NZ
Obsidian | Level 7

Casey -Thanks for that!

I made the statement that the updates don't work with a proxy after contacting SAS tech support. They told me it was not possible. I'll try out the settings in the SASNote.

Mark

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Mark, glad to help!

Tech Support just recently found that solution and created the SASNote, so they probably didn't realize it was possible at the time.  The investigation and solution was a direct response to your and other inquiries, so thank you for reporting!

Casey

tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for SASNote, it makes it possible... but at our shop we have around 300 SAS/Eg users and we don't want to support 3 or 4 version of the product. Usually, we try the update in a lab with a team of users and then we go ahead and update everybody.  It was easy with the hot fixes, can we still update the old way ?

Thanks

Laurent

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi Laurent,

Many other customers operate this way as well (support one version of the product for their end-users and roll-out updates to everyone at once to make sure they stay at same level).  Yes, you can still update EG the traditional way (using SAS Deployment Manager) instead of using Check for Updates.  You can also disable Check for Updates to prevent end-users from updating their EG clients via that feature.

Casey

tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Casey,

When you say the traditional way you mean with hot fixes download that are installed via SAS Deployement manager ?

Thanks!

Laurent

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Sure, no problem.  Yes, that is what I mean.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 6 in conversation