BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Hi all

I'm using my laptop in different places often with a second monitor. The second monitor is not always at the same place (on top, to the left, to the right) so I normally adjust my display setting accordingly.

I then use EG on the monitor where it suits me most. It appears that with EG 6.1 (and earlier versions as well) that when one uses the Search or Replace windows (ctrl F / ctrl H) that the Window position is remembered relative to where the main EG window is located.

So what happens to me all too often: I come to another work-place where the second monitor is somewhere else (eg. on top instead of to the left) and when I then try to use the search window I can't find it. And the reason is: EG locates it somewhere outside of the screens (so "on top" in the air where it was the last time when I've used it somewhere else).

Is there any way how I can easily re-adjust the find/search window positions?

Thanks

Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you suspect that you have a window that's "in focus" but off screen, use these keyboard shortcuts:

Alt+SPACE, then M, then use the arrow keys to move the window into view.

Practice a few times with your multiple displays to get the hang of it.

EG *should* detect that a window is out-of-view and move it into the primary display if needed, but it's possible that there is an instance or two where this isn't happening.  If you have a repeatable case, report it to SAS Tech Support and I'm sure the product team will address it.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

This is windows related behavior. Eguide is a .Net application for windows. What version Windows you are using?
With XP there where key-s to move windows. When remembering the location you could shift back. But Xp should not be used anymore.

With W7 the infterface (aero) is different and this one should be able to move/show you screens when you have found that in the list.
Deleting the profile (Windows) of the EGuide application will reset that the default ones.n  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you suspect that you have a window that's "in focus" but off screen, use these keyboard shortcuts:

Alt+SPACE, then M, then use the arrow keys to move the window into view.

Practice a few times with your multiple displays to get the hang of it.

EG *should* detect that a window is out-of-view and move it into the primary display if needed, but it's possible that there is an instance or two where this isn't happening.  If you have a repeatable case, report it to SAS Tech Support and I'm sure the product team will address it.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
eddydag
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Chris. this was very helpful to me.

Make sure you hold the arrow key to the direction you want to drag it. I didn't get it first and i was using the mouse to drag - which did not work.

Alt+SPACE, then M, then hold and use the arrow keys to move and drag the window into view.

ira_jacobson_delta_com
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you! This was a huge help for me this morning!

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Thanks @Jaap and @Chris for your answers. I'll try with the key combinations next time.

By the way: It's Windows 7

JVittone
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks. This worked great. It happens to me all the time when connecting remotely to my office computer which is a dual monitor setup from my single monitor laptop.
samdupont
SAS Employee

If all else fails, right-click on your taskbar and select "Cascade windows". That should bring it into view. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 24 likes
  • 7 in conversation