BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dawn_Wu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

My team has been using SAS for years. When I get to work on 2018-5-22 in the moring , I found that

• 3 workstations are faced with connection problem
    • SAS EG 5.1 64 bit with below error
      • A connection to the server "Local" could not be established
    • SAS Base 9.3 TS level 1M2 are OK
  • The other 4 workstations are OK

I've consulted with local IT team, only to find no fix was  installed at 2018-5-21 night.

I attached 2 files, one is the error snapshot, the other is from Usage Note 58761

SAS Enterprise Guide and select Help ► About SAS Enterprise Guide ► Configuration Details ► Copy to Clipboard

I'm using Win 7 64 bit

Thanks inadvance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dawn_Wu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Smith, Hi Everyone,

Local IT has found the problem just now. He just shut down the anti-virus software on the affected workstations. 

After that , all things are OK. So it's related to anti-virus software.

Thanks you all for your kind help.

Regards,

Dawn

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I don't see the attachments. Have you checked that all affected PCs have current SAS licences?

Dawn_Wu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Sa Skiwi,

Yes All attected PC have current SAS license

Regards,

Dawn

Dawn_Wu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for replying

I have start SAS on the affected workstations from Start menu (SAS EG 51.)

PS how did you check the license? Because I running SAS Base 9.3 on the same affected workstations without any error.

The strange is , error with SAS EG, but not with SAS Base, and the error suddenly appears on 2018-5-22 morning, and no fix was installed at the night before.

any idea? Thanks.

Regards,

Dawn

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You might have to re-register your local SAS, so EG can find it via the Windows Registry (which has a tendency to lose information every now an then for no discernible reason; after all, it's from Microsoft).

See http://support.sas.com/kb/45/258.html

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

With 7 workstations (that require 7 Base SAS licenses) I would seriously consider switching to a client-server setup (where the additional cost for the Metadata Server/Integration Technologies is compensated by the fact that you only need one SAS license). This also reduces the maintenance costs greatly.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

My previous post is of course only valid if you have local SAS installations on the workstations. If in fact you have a client/server setup, then the 3 "defective" workstations have only lost or deactivated their metadata connection profile. In that case, go to Tools/Connections and reactivate/create the connection profile.

Dawn_Wu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for replying my questions.

Can you give the URL for your previous post about this similiar questions? (sorry , your post is too many)

I will read it to see if it helps.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dawn

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

"Previous post" was the one immediately before that where I suggested switching to a client/server ewnvironment where you have only one server with SAS installed, and no local Base SAS installations.

You now need to check if Base SAS starts from the Windows Start menu:

Start - All Programs - SAS - SAS 9.3

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I suggest following the recommendations in Usage Note 58761.  The specific root problem in that note is specific to Windows 10, but the resolution steps apply to any Windows version with same symptom (inability to connect to Local server).  Specifically, open your local Base SAS first (sounds like you already did), check your setinit/license to make sure it is current (though you wouldn't be able to open Base SAS if it wasn't), see if you are able to connect to the Local server using the SAS Integration Technologies Configuration Wizard, and see if re-registering your local SAS resolves the issue (instructions for both are in that Usage Note).

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Dawn_Wu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Casey,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I've followed the Usage Note 58761 to go through from begining to end and still no progress.

SAS support Team suggests me to re-install the SAS in safe-mode.

I'll try re-install. Thanks.

Regards,

Dawn

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Just to re-iterate from my previous post: you won't have such problems on a UNIX server. UNIX is on another planet, stability-wise.

(speaking from >30 years of working with UNIX, and ~20 years SAS on UNIX)

Dawn_Wu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your advise. I'm in a big orgnization, and you know, to big to adopt frequent change.

though a good suggestion, not workable for me.

Anyway, Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Dawn

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Dawn,

In that case, yeah, I suggest working with SAS Tech Support.

Out of curiosity, did you get a similar error when attempting to test/connect to your local server using the SAS Integration Technologies Configuration Wizard (C:\Program Files\SASHome\x86\Integration Technologies\ITConfig2.exe)?  What was the error?  (The error screenshot attachment you mentioned in your first post appears not to have been attached.)

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation