BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
UVakkalagadda
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Folks,

In my environment generally users launch SAS EG and then expand SASApp-->Files-->USERS-->user1, user2... user500. In the USERS folder we have around 500 individual user IDs are created here every time users need to browse the tree folder to go into their respective folders. I tried with "File Navigation" option in SAS Workspace server via SMC but i think it is not possible to manage two paths in the file navigation.Is there any way to more quickly jump to their user folders more quickly in SAS EG-->SASApp--Files, rather than having to "pick" out their staff number or user IDs.?

Thanks

Uday
5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In SAS Management Console, navigate to Server Manager - SASApp - Logical Workspace Server, right-click SASApp-Workspace Server, select Options, select Advanced Options, select File Navigation. Activate "SAS User Root", so every user starts in their respective home directory.

UVakkalagadda
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your response, I tried your suggestion earlier. But we already specified one directory in "Path" option. Now we would like to add another path without disturbing the existing path. Is it possible to File Navigation tab can accept multiple paths?
Uday
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@UVakkalagadda wrote:
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your response, I tried your suggestion earlier. But we already specified one directory in "Path" option. Now we would like to add another path without disturbing the existing path. Is it possible to File Navigation tab can accept multiple paths?

No, you can't. The Files section in the Server List can only have one root.

I would set the navigation to the user's root (which is the default setting), and define symbolic links within the user's home directory that point to frequently used locations in the file system.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi Uday,

See http://support.sas.com/kb/59/828.html...

Many SAS administrators have to reference more than one path where folders or files do not exist within the same subdirectory; examples follow:

• C:\public\sasdata
  • C:\users\sales

Because the File Navigation tab options can accept only a single path, create symbolic links to the directories in question.

For the above example, create symbolic links to both sasdata and sales in a single directory. Then refer to this single directory path in the Specify Path field on the File Navigation tab.

That SAS Note also points out that environment variables can be used on Windows servers...

Note: If your SAS Workspace Server is running on a Windows server, you can use an environment variable. However, the variable must come first in the path and must begin with an exclamation point. For example, to use the USERPROFILE environment variable, you can use the following path: 

• !USERPROFILE\your-subfolder\

As another example, you might be able to use the USERNAME Windows environment variable in the server file navigation path to start each user in their respective sub-directory (if their usernames match the subdirectory names).

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

UVakkalagadda
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello Casey,

Thanks for your inputs, seems it works only in Windows platform. Is there anything related for Linux environment?

Thanks
Uday

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation