BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
justagba
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I had built in the automatic Export as Step In Project so as to expedite my processes. It worked fine before. I now receive the message below:

The open data operation failed. The following error occurred.

Could not open the data source.

I am not sure of what happened. Exporting to CSV and text work fine but for some formatting reasons, I prefer to export to Excel. As there are tens of files, I would prefer not to do the exports manually.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There is no SAS 4.3. Did you mean SAS 9.4 maintenance release 3? Or are you trying to specify the release number for Enterprise Guide? I think currently EG is up to release 7.15, so if you are running 4.3 then perhaps it is time to upgrade.

ballardw
Super User

@justagba wrote:

Hello,

I had built in the automatic Export as Step In Project so as to expedite my processes. It worked fine before. I now receive the message below:

The open data operation failed. The following error occurred.

Could not open the data source.

I am not sure of what happened. Exporting to CSV and text work fine but for some formatting reasons, I prefer to export to Excel. As there are tens of files, I would prefer not to do the exports manually.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you

So what changed? Did you upgrade SAS (apparently EG)? Relicense SAS (which may mean that certain modules changed such as Access to PC Files to export to Excel). Update OS? Update Office?

Which file type are you exporting to? XLS and XLSX Excel formats are not the same.

Can you post the generated code you use to export "excel"? There are a number of different ways and each has it's own pitfalls.

justagba
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, we have relicensed. Yes, there were  updates to OS and possibly updates to Office as well. I will see with IT.

Thanks

Justagba

ballardw
Super User

@justagba wrote:

Yes, we have relicensed. Yes, there were  updates to OS and possibly updates to Office as well. I will see with IT.

Thanks

Justagba

I would start by checking to see if SAS/ Access to PC Files is included in your new license. If not, that would be one of the more likely culprits. However other ways of creating Access files have been added in later versions of SAS but I am not sure if they work with the EG 4 since the later versions are in the 7.1 or later range.

Since I can think of at least 4 fairly good ways to create Excel files, and couple of others not so good but "work" some of the time, some of those depend on license or installation options.

You really should show us how you are creating the Excel file for more targeted suggestions.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

See @CaseySmith's response to this similar question.  Sounds like the same issue, caused by a breaking change in the Microsoft data components.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
justagba
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks everyone for your help.

ChrisHemedinger response  links may shed some light on what the problem seems to be .  I will know for sure if there is a follow up from Microsoft. In the meantime, I am performing my export differently, just not automated.

Justagba

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation