BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tnimmo0
Calcite | Level 5

Several months ago my company started rolling out 64-bit machines. Previously we had local installs of SAS 9.1, we now have EG 5.1 installed and are trying to connect to a server which is already being used from a different site. I went to the other site and logged in on one of their machines, so we know it is not our logins. The message received is "An unexpected error has occurred while accessing metadata
A connection could not be made to the SAS Metadata Server but is required for the current operation. Please see your administrator."

I have been working with IT but we have no idea what is wrong, is this a message that people know about? I've attached the full error log in case someone has had the issue before.

Thanks, any help or suggestions much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fifthand57th
SAS Employee

@tnimmo0

This new error tells me that there is likely an issue with Integration Technologies. If you used ITConfig2 to test the workspace server, you should get an error too.

What version of the IntTech client is installed on the EG machine (C:\Program Files\SASHome\Integration Technologies\installs)? Here's the link to download the latest IntTech client for SAS 9.3: https://support.sas.com/downloads/package.htm?pid=1035

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi @tnimmo0,

So, you are trying to connect to a remote SAS server, not a local SAS server, correct?  What version of SAS is your remote server?  Still SAS 9.1?

The error you shared indicates that EG was unable to connect to a metadata server at host sasuk.company.corp and port 8561.  So, here is what I would suggest trying:

• First, confirm you can ping the host...  execute "ping sasuk.company.corp" in a command window on your client machine.
    (If you can't ping the host, that is most likely the problem.  The client has to be able to access the server on the network.)
  • Next, try making a test connection to the SAS metadata server using the SAS Integration Technologies Configuration Wizard...
    • Run ITConfig2.exe (C:\Program Files\SASHome\x86\Integration Technologies) to launch the tool.
    • Click Test SAS Servers->Enter a SAS server definition manually
    • Change Currently Testing to SAS Metadata Server, then specify the same information that is in your EG profile.  For example, specify your SAS metadata server host in Machine Name field (sasuk.company.corp), set Port to 8561, specify your credentials, and click Test.

If you are not able to connect to your metadata server from ITConfig2.exe either, there is probably an issue with your connection information or metadata server.  If you are able to connect to your metadata server from ITConfig2.exe, confirm you are specifying the same information in your EG connection profile (click link in bottom-right corner of EG, on status bar, to bring up Connections dialog to confirm your active connection profile).

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

tnimmo0
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Casey,

The server is running 9.3.

I recieved the below error when running in ITConfig2:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80042002): <connectionAttempts></connectionAttempts>
   at SASObjectManager.ObjectFactoryMulti2Class.CreateObjectByServer(String Name, Boolean synchronous, ServerDef pIServerDef, String LoginName, String Password)
   at SAS.BI.Itconfig.Library.ServerTests.SASServerTest.CreateConnectionWithObjectFactoryMulti()
   at SAS.BI.Itconfig.Library.ServerTests.SASServerTest.CreateConnection()

I know its not the connection profile as I travelled up to our other offices and logged in fine on one of their computers.

Must be something to do with the server.

Thanks for your help.

fifthand57th
SAS Employee

@tnimmo0

This new error tells me that there is likely an issue with Integration Technologies. If you used ITConfig2 to test the workspace server, you should get an error too.

What version of the IntTech client is installed on the EG machine (C:\Program Files\SASHome\Integration Technologies\installs)? Here's the link to download the latest IntTech client for SAS 9.3: https://support.sas.com/downloads/package.htm?pid=1035

tnimmo0
Calcite | Level 5

I think I love you people, IT and I have been trying for months to get this thing working.

Ok, its not completely working, I have a new error, but its the first time that my login has appeared in the corner!

the new error is the 'sas.iomprovider.1' provider is not registered on the local machine

After some searching of these forums, it appears something wasn't present during installation, which sounds easier to sort out than the previous issue.

thank you

fifthand57th
SAS Employee

@tnimmo0

Glad to hear that things are progressing!

The new error likely means that the SAS Providers for OLE DB were not installed with EG. Install this on the same computer as Enterprise Guide. Here's the link to download: https://support.sas.com/downloads/package.htm?pid=969

Hopefully a Helpful Hint:The version of EG (5.1) you are using is fairly old. As soon as you get past these install errors, I highly recommend that you install the latest hot fix to ensure that you don't encounter issues that have been resolved in an update. Link to download the last 5.1 hot fix: http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/G35.html#G35023

Happy Monday!

tnimmo0
Calcite | Level 5

All working now, thank you very much!

Can start doing some work on my own machine now!

nagaraj1991
Obsidian | Level 7

Could you please tell me steps how to resolve the issue ,,,even one of our user is not able to connect sas eg in his machine but able to connect it from other machine .sas eg version is 7.11

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation