BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
oldschool
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to find a way to get an automated listing of the input and output data sources for a SAS EG program - basically anything in the program that isn't part of the temporary working directory. Have not been able to find anything that doesn't involve a lot of manual work.

Is there an automated way to generate the source and output data sets for a program?

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In a word no. What you, and many other users have asked or tried, can you automate the documentation of a SAS program by interpreting the source code? Because there are so many ways data can be read or output it would be virtually impossible to do this both automatically and accurately.

Having said that it may be possible to use the SAS DICTIONARY tables to find what datasets have been updated or created by a program. You just wouldn't know whether they are "input" or "output".   

oldschool
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, SASKiwi. I should clarify for everyone - the tables I need to document are those that are part of standard libariers, and they are all sitting in the project as objects - so I don't need to parse or inspect manually written code in programs. Because all of our datasets (regardless of which EG project) go to a single output directory, I will also be able to distinguish between ins and outs.

There's a plug-in I found called Report Viewer which seems to be able to read program data related to flows, it just doesn't show the data sets - only the queries. Have also noticed that the project mtc Tool shows the Data Items in the program, you just can't export it.

Both these utilities seem to indicate it's possible to do this, maybe someone just hasn't written the functionality yet? A tool that would otuput project metadata (flows, datasets, etc...) would be a really nice utility.

Reeza
Super User

If the code includes macro's that may definitely not be possible, because the inputs could change from run to run.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation