BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
thirug
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, we are currently creating large access db files on the window file server using PC SAS 9.2 by reading cpt files which are created on the mainframe and then transferred to windows file server. Now the organization is pushing to use SAS EG but it has limitations on creating access db on the unix server. Business users requires these files to be on the windows server. SAS EG has another option PC File server which requires a administration privileges  on the laptop so that EG will treat the laptop as server and create the access db files but it's very hard to get admin rights.  Is there any alternate solution?

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

SAS Enterprise Guide - the 32-bit version - can export data as Microsoft Access files: mdb file, the "old style" files.  EG does this work (not SAS) and no additional software is needed.

The only other process I can suggest is to create CSV files with the data you need, and then use Microsoft Access scripts to create the database content from the CSV.  It's a common practice, but it does add to the moving parts of your already complex flow.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Reeza
Super User

@thirug wrote:

SAS EG has another option PC File server which requires a administration privileges  on the laptop so that EG will treat the laptop as server and create the access db files but it's very hard to get admin rights. 

I think you only need admin privileges to install PC File Server, not to run it each time. I would suggest talking to tech support on this issue. 

I would also consider a text file as a workaround. I think an Access DB can be set up to pull from external data sources, including text files. So it's a bit of a work around but it should work. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Sorry but why are we talking about a PC Files Server on a laptop?
In my mind you set it up on a Windows Server which is reachable from your SAS Workspace Server session.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation