BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6

In SAS Windows Enterprise Guide, is there any difference in performance between running a SAS program on Linux via a Connection Profile vs running it via an rsubmit from within SAS EG vs logging directly into Linux?  (Ver 7.15 HF2)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Working on the assumption that your EG and rsubmit runs code on the same SAS server....

I would start by comparing the options in effect when running through the two interfaces. The easiest would be to compare the output from proc options; run; between the two sessions. It's entirely possible that the Workspace server and the Connect Spawner are configured with different setting, causing a difference in performance. For example...

- They may have different memory settings

- They may have different sorting options

- They may be using different disks for WORK which are not configure the same

- They may be using different disks for UTIL which are not configure the same

- Etc, etc

In addition to the above, I would run the same user code on both and compare the results with -FULLSTIMER switched on. You're dealing with perception here, so you need to break everything down into comparable stats.

Bottom line is this:

Yes, your user may have a different experience between the two, but it's most likely caused by back-end configuration.

Please let us know the outcome if you are able to test the above. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

EG adds a bit of overhead for displaying results (logs and output), but apart from that server performance should be the same.

If your EG network link is slow then there may be delays in displaying results.

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, SASKiwi,

This is what I hoped and suspected, but I needed an opinion of someone with more knowledge/experience than myself.

Best,

Gary

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Fully agree with @SASKiwi. At the end of the day it's a bunch of Base SAS code being run on a server.

Just out of curiosity, what sparked the question ? All things being equal, the question is not really 'Do I use rsubmit or EG?' These are two totally different interfaces that get selected for different reasons.

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks,nhvdwalt.  I agree, they are two different interfaces used for different reasons.  However, we have one well respected person on out team who vehemently insists that jobs submited via EG gets much worse performance when connecting to Linux than rsubmits (without consideration for internet traffic).

I wonder what happens when the connection drops between EG and the Linux host running the job?

Best,

Gary

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Working on the assumption that your EG and rsubmit runs code on the same SAS server....

I would start by comparing the options in effect when running through the two interfaces. The easiest would be to compare the output from proc options; run; between the two sessions. It's entirely possible that the Workspace server and the Connect Spawner are configured with different setting, causing a difference in performance. For example...

- They may have different memory settings

- They may have different sorting options

- They may be using different disks for WORK which are not configure the same

- They may be using different disks for UTIL which are not configure the same

- Etc, etc

In addition to the above, I would run the same user code on both and compare the results with -FULLSTIMER switched on. You're dealing with perception here, so you need to break everything down into comparable stats.

Bottom line is this:

Yes, your user may have a different experience between the two, but it's most likely caused by back-end configuration.

Please let us know the outcome if you are able to test the above. 

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks again,nhvdwalt!

These are great ideas.  I'll look into them and let you know what I find.

Best,

Gary

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation