BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Anyone know how to change the label of a SAS dataset that is imported from say an excel spreadsheet. For example, I import an excel sheet called "AWP" using the import wizard. Unlike query builder, there is no option to name the output dataset something different - however, what I'm really after is that when the import is complete, in the project view, the output dataset has a label "Data Imported from AWP" rather than the actual dataset name - "AWP". Even if I right click and go into properties, I'm not allowed to change this label. Any solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

You can change the physical table name on the first page of the Import Data wizard, but as you mentioned, there does not appear to be a way to change the label of the data node that is output from the Import Data task.  I view this as a bug (or at least a shortcoming) and will enter an issue in our tracking system to address.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

You can change the physical table name on the first page of the Import Data wizard, but as you mentioned, there does not appear to be a way to change the label of the data node that is output from the Import Data task.  I view this as a bug (or at least a shortcoming) and will enter an issue in our tracking system to address.

Casey

rogerjdeangelis
Barite | Level 11
I am a little confused.

Why not

libname xel "c:/xls/myxls.xlsx";
data arbitrary_name(label="arbitrary_label");;
  set xel.'sheet1$'n;
run;quit;
libname xel close;

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @rogerjdeangelis

In this case, the displayed label in the EG process flow is not related to the data set label attribute.  Sometimes they are the same, but this is a case where the EG Import Data task assigns a label for the project to display, and it cannot be changed.

If you write your own PROC IMPORT or other method to read in the Excel file, then you can assign your own data set labels.  

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
rogerjdeangelis
Barite | Level 11

My mistake

I did not understand the questions.

I am very ignorant about EG project files.

It is annoyning that I have to log into SAS forum and cannot reply to SAS forum generated emails to my gmail account.

The return address is 'replies.disabled@sas.com. Also it would be very nice if the latest  postings could be sent to my email or better yet mirroed on SAS-L. There are a lot of skilled programmers on SAS-L who can help. Same goes for Stackoverflow.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @rogerjdeangelis,

You can respond by e-mail, but not by using the reply feature in your e-mail program.  Instead, use the Reply link at the bottom of the notification you recieve.  See details for this process here.

And we are lucky to have many SAS-L and sasCommunity.org participants on this community as well.  SAS experts are generous with their time in all forums!

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Just wanted to follow-up and let you all know that we addressed this in the next release. In EG 7.13, you will be able to edit the label for any data node, including output data nodes.

JediApprentice
Pyrite | Level 9

Awesome, thank you very much. I appreciate it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation