BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jwilson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a support ticket open with SAS for this issue, but was hoping to get the community's thoughts as well.  I have been able to reliably replicate an application crash on EG 8 on all machines in my organization by following the steps in this video: https://i.gyazo.com/e89e25e7578ad6232c1f5d912cf487f7.mp4

Support advised me to check the Event Viewer -- I've pasted that below.  I was also advised to reinstall .net framework, which did not work, but also doesn't really make sense to me given this issue exists across all of our machines.  If anyone has EG 8, can you try to replicate my issue and let me know if it crashes your application?  You need to have two monitors in order for it to work.

Faulting application name: SEGuide.exe, version: 8.3.0.103, time stamp: 0x5f297a62
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2728, time stamp: 0xe7e53a4e
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000002cd29
Faulting process id: 0x49ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d97941113bc529
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASEnterpriseGuide\8\SEGuide.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b74a7e71-3ef5-49bf-9c1e-4ae0b10d5319
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What causes the crash? Just opening EG or some process within EG once open? Was it working OK before and if so what might have changed to cause it? Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit EG?

We use EG 8.3 in our organisation and I've never seen anything like this.

jwilson
Obsidian | Level 7

What causes the crash is docking that programs folder back into the EG application after maximizing the log window in the second monitor (the video should be self explanatory but let me know what isn't clear and I'll try to make a new one).  We use EG 8.3 (8.3.0.103) (64-bit)

The application works fine normally, it's just when users are trying to dock and undock windows this crash happens.  We have some other crashes that seem related in some way but none that we can reliably replicate.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK, looks suspiciously like a bug to me. You could check to see if the latest version 8.3 Update 7 still has the problem or wait for advice from Tech Support.

jwilson
Obsidian | Level 7
What do you mean latest version? When I click "check for updates" it tells me my software is up-to-date. Is there some other way to update?

Just to confirm -- those same steps don't crash your EG session? Are you in windows?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I was just going by my EG which reports this:

SASKiwi_0-1682645539421.png

which appears to be later than yours.

I haven't tried your problem as yet. Too busy with my day job 🙂

jwilson
Obsidian | Level 7
update 7? that is really confusing!
AlanC
Barite | Level 11

I don't think this is an EG issue even though EG is throwing the error. I would suspect the graphics driver or .NET. Try and turn off transparency in Windows, see if it fixes it. Update graphics drivers, make sure .NET Framework is up-to-date. Mess with graphics options.

The failure appears to occur when you dock the window which is an internal function in .NET. .NET uses the graphics driver. That is what makes me suspect that the error is thrown at the bottom and bubbles up. Just a swag. 

https://github.com/savian-net
jwilson
Obsidian | Level 7
Were you unable to replicate it? this issue is happening on every single one of our machines. We tried updating .net, it did not work.
jwilson
Obsidian | Level 7

update:  I installed EG 8.3 on my personal machine and was able to replicate the bug.  I'm growing increasingly skeptical that this is not a bug.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation