BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello,

When trying to edit a program that has more number of lines the SAS EG 6.1 keeps freezing for a while, it doesn't matter if the .egp file is on server or local. 

When the edit is made on lines <800 it doesn't freeze, but when the line number increases it freezes. Higher the line number, more the time it freezes. 

What I have tried:

>> I killed the session and re-opened but the same issue.

>> Copied the code and pasted in new .egp program, but still it freezes.

This is so weird, not sure if this is a known issue in SAS EG 6.1 or something missing from my machine. 

Environment:

Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB Ram

SAS Enterprise Guide 6.1 M1 (6.100.0.4025) (64-bit)

SAS 9.4M5 on SUN 64

Thanks,
Suryakiran
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi Suryakiran,

There have been some performance improvements in the EG editor since EG 6.1.  My first recommendation would be to upgrade your EG client to the latest version (currently 7.15) and hotfix (7.15 HF7).  If you are unable to do that, I would highly recommend making sure you are at least at the latest 6.1 hotfix...  http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/M54.html#M54017.  While I can't promise the specific issue you are encountering has been resolved, there have certainly been some improvements, which may address what you are seeing.

Another thing you can try...  in EG's Program->Editor Options->Autocomplete tab, uncheck "Enable Autocomplete", uncheck "Enable integrated syntax help" and see if the problem improves.  If not, re-enable both options (assuming you want to use those features).

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

No help with a solution, I'm afraid, but I've seen what might be the same behavior.

In my case, probably once a month or so, EG becomes very, very slow to process keystrokes while in the program editor. Getting out and getting back in again seems to resolve it. It's infrequent enough that I haven't worried about it, but I suspect that it's the same issue that you're having.

In my case, it doesn't seem to be related to the length of the program.

Good luck, and if you find out what it is please post more info. I'd love to know!

Tom

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi Suryakiran,

There have been some performance improvements in the EG editor since EG 6.1.  My first recommendation would be to upgrade your EG client to the latest version (currently 7.15) and hotfix (7.15 HF7).  If you are unable to do that, I would highly recommend making sure you are at least at the latest 6.1 hotfix...  http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/hotfix/HF2/M54.html#M54017.  While I can't promise the specific issue you are encountering has been resolved, there have certainly been some improvements, which may address what you are seeing.

Another thing you can try...  in EG's Program->Editor Options->Autocomplete tab, uncheck "Enable Autocomplete", uncheck "Enable integrated syntax help" and see if the problem improves.  If not, re-enable both options (assuming you want to use those features).

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Thank you @CaseySmith  un-check the Enable Autocomplete resolved the issue. 

@TomKari Thank you for your reply. Finally found some workaround.

Tools>Options>SAS Programs>Editor Options>Auto Complete (tab). 

Untitled.png

Thanks,
Suryakiran
jebjur
SAS Employee

This issue was also fixed with an Enterprise Guide 6.1 hotfix. The link to the hotfix can be found in this SAS note:

http://support.sas.com/kb/54754

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Thank you @jebjur, I will let my SAS Admins know about the Hot Fix. 

Thanks,
Suryakiran
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Fantastic! Thanks for letting us know.

Tom

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation