BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JF2233
Calcite | Level 5

Hello - Our current EG remote users are using the client over a VPN, but we're finding it not to be as fast as it should be. I've seen other discussions here that are in line with steps we are taking to setup a remote desktop environment to keep the client local to the server. Is anyone using Windows terminal server and do you have any sizing recommendations for the remote desktop server? Or do you know of any specific requirements? We're moving forward and it's a small group, but instead of guessing ram, cores, etc. for 10-15 users, I was trying to find a guideline of specs needed per user or someone already doing it that could share what works for them. Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8
Kushalkmr714
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question.

I have been to a client place where SAS was kept as local access in the server and used terminal services to generate a local web link and share to the users.

The users used the link in their respective browser(IE/Mozilla) and login to use Base SAS and EG. Here the users login details has to be created locally in the server.

The specs of the server is mentioned below: -

System Manufacturer = Dell

System Model  = PowerEdge R430

System Type =    x64-based PC

Processor      =    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30GHz, 2297 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Mode    =   Legacy

Platform Role =  Enterprise Server

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) = 128 GB

Total Virtual Memory =  147 GB

Page File Space = 19.0 GB

HDD = 1TB

If you are to follow the same method of using SAS, I guess you might have to purchase terminal licenses as per usage. Recommended to reach out to your IT team for the same.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Kushal Kumar R

JF2233
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks much for your reply and information. 

Regards, 

Jon

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Kushai,

Can you specify for how many users this server setup was?

Thank you,

Yvan

Kushalkmr714
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Yvan,

It depends on the terninal licenses(per user/per machine). 

However, The setup was having around 100 -150 users.

Regards,

Kushal Kumar R 

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Kushai,

Ok, thank you for such prompt reply.

Yvan

Kushalkmr714
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Yvan,

You are welcome.

If you felt my reply gave you the solution. Please mark my reply as answer.

Regards,

Kushal Kumar R

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Kushai,

I would, but I do not see the option/link to do so.

Yvan

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@RexDeus9 You won't be able to mark this post as answered because you are not the original poster. That is another good reason to start new posts rather than adding to old ones. You can always reference an old post in your new one with a link.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation