BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JSWilson64
Fluorite | Level 6

So my team has been using desktop/pc SAS for about 15 years now, we are being dragged into the Enterprise Guide platform kicking and screaming 🙂

Our EG server is running Unix, our local machines are running Windows 7. Endpoint will be local machines with only SAS PC File Server, EG and the add-in for MS Office installed, in less than 60 days...

We need to be able to save SAS data sets to a folder on a local or network drive. I do have Proc Export working using PC File Server and I can get Excel output as we need but I cannot figure out how to set a SAS Libname to a local/network folder.  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The "Download Data Files" task does not support macro values, but the Copy Files task (in Data menu, v7.13 and later) does.  You'll have to deal with path names instead of libname.member notation.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @JSWilson64

As you may know, the LIBNAME statement will be executed on the server where SAS Wirkspace server sessions are started.

So the path you use has to be relevant to that server.

For instance if you have a Windows server (I know yours is Unix but it is for the demonstration Smiley Happy) and you use 'libname test "c:\temp";', the path C:\temp will be the one on the server, not your local machine.

Samba drive or similar might be the way to go.

An alternative, native to SAS Enterprise Guide would be to use the Download Data Files to PC task, from Tasks => Data.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Damo

JSWilson64
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Damo! 

I'll look at that task - do you know if it can be set up to use macro variables for file and folder names?  That might just do the trick.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The "Download Data Files" task does not support macro values, but the Copy Files task (in Data menu, v7.13 and later) does.  You'll have to deal with path names instead of libname.member notation.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
JSWilson64
Fluorite | Level 6

That helps!  Now I need to get our IT folks to upgrade us from 7.100.

Thanks, Chris, your SAS Dummy blog is helping a lot with this transition.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Glad to hear it!

You can use the Copy Files task in earlier versions as a custom task (links all in the blog) -- but upgrade is better 😉

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation