BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DeepSiv
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all

We have some business users who use SAS EG 4.3 (connecting to Unix server) for executing SAS jobs. There are some jobs that run long/produce large reports. So they would like to know if we have any way to run these jobs in batch mode using SAS EG itself. I tried using scheduler but I am unable to disable local security policy in my company machine. It cannot be disabled even with admin's help as it is a company policy.

Logging on to server might be an option to execute in batch mode, but it involves a considerable learning curve due to their non technical background. Also they are quite versant with SAS EG and would prefer to do things using EG itself.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Having a "batch submit" button is something I also would wish for in SAS EG - but it doesn't exist "out-of-the-box".

If your EG users are allowed to execute X commands (option XCMD) then they could save their code developed in EG to a directory accessible by the server and then submit a batch command (using command "X" or "systask" or "%systask" or ...).

With a UNIX server they could use "NOHUP" so even if the parent EG session closes the batch process would still continue running. Question is: How would the users access the log and output of the batch process? I assume you would need to set up some autocall macro for them which directs the log and output to a directory to which the Server can write but which is also accessible via EG or "mappable"  from their workstations.

So in a way: Skilling up your users to learn the basics for using Putty and WinSCP is may be better.

Quentin
Super User

Agree with the need for ability to batch submit in EG.  And ask others who agree, to be sure to vote up this suggestion on the SASware ballot.  (And feel free to add comments there as well).

https://communities.sas.com/ideas/1374

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Deep - if you are using UNIX server then "CRON" set up is the best you could do. you can simply set up schedules with CRON facility available with UNIX and doesn't matter how long process or how many schedules out there will run out there...

good luck!!!

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi, everyone

Great discussion, but I'm going to introduce a contrarian note. I have always felt, and continue to feel, that there are much better SAS facilities than EG for running "ongoing, production" type jobs. My favourite is DIS, because it brings managed and auditable capabilities to the table in a way that EG, as a development and exploratory analytics platform, never will.

Thanks for listening, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Tom

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I totally agree. My thinking having such a batch submit button is more for scenarios where you want to run longer running non-productionized jobs in an adhoc manner.

art297
Opal | Level 21

Tom,

I should be able to wish you happy holidays at Friday's TASS meeting, so I'll use this space to disagree.  SAS has marketed EG to the extent that (at least when I was working for the Insurance Bureau of Canada), that only 10 users had access to real SAS, while everyone else ONLY had EG.  Those folks didn't have ANY other options!

Quentin
Super User

Hi Tom,

Agree, can see benefits to DI studio for "ongoing production" jobs.   I think the key part of the phrase is "ongoing", i.e. a job that will be run repeatedly (either on some scheduled basis, or even just adhoc).

But there are some folks who use SAS for analysis, and never have that sort of production job.  Their job is is to write a program that will analyze some data.  And once that analysis is complete, they never run the code again.  So for something like that, I think it would be useful to have a batch submit button in EG.  And even if I am using EG to develop a program that that will eventually end up being executed by DIS, would be nice to be able to do a quick batch submit, just to make sure I'm starting with a "clean" session, etc.

Happy Holidays back at ya.  Sorry I won't be at TASS.  It's not too far from Rhode Island.  Maybe one day....

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I think it is also worth pointing out that the SAS LSF scheduler is also an option. The advantage of LSF is that it is integrated with SAS Management Console so you can define and schedule your batch jobs all in the one admin environment. We use this for both adhoc and production batch jobs and it works well. Code has to be exported from EG Projects, before it can be scheduled in this manner though.

Quentin
Super User

Good point.  When I use DI studio, I'm really just using DI studio to take a SAS program I wrote and deploy it for scheduling, so that I can use SMC to make it into a "flow", so that I can use LSF scheduler to schedule it via SMC. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

As Art pointed out a lot of the SAS EG population doesn't have (and shouldn't need to have) access to DI Studio, SMC or LSF

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

These articles may be of help.  They don't answer the query directly, but these may give you an idea of what's possible.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 8 in conversation