BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

Hello everyone,

I am revisiting and old question that was posted a few years ago here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/Order-of-Process-flow/td-p/106930

I really need a way to run process flows in my project in a certain order.  Creating an ordered list will not work because I have too many tasks in each flow to schedule.  I simply want to be able to run flow 1, then flow 2, then flow 3.  I also have a couple of other process flows built to use as a "sandbox" for testing or a grave yard for old tasks that I don't necessarly want to delete yet.  Those process flows dont need to be run at all.

I am using EG 6.1 and can't seem to find a way that is built in.  I am hoping there is something new that has come along in the last 4 years to make this easier.  I don't quite get the use of scripting in the prior post I linked either.  Maybe someone has something that can make it quicker/easier for me and dumb it down.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Sorry for the late reply.

Using EG's automation interface (scripting with VBScript or Windows Powershell) is going to be your best bet. I posted some example VBScript code in this post, that will allow you to execute whichever process flows in whichever order you would like:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/execution-Order-of-process-flow-in-a-project-usi...

Note: The easiest way to create a stock EGScript1.vbs file is to schedule your project (File->Schedule Project in EG). That will create the EGScript1.vbs file for you in the same directory as your project.  (You can immediately delete the scheduled task EG creates in Windows Task Scheduler, unless you actually want it run on a schedule.) Then you can open and edit the EGScript1.vbs file as desired and run it from command line. (Make sure your EG project is not open when you run the VBScript file.)

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kayleah
Fluorite | Level 6
I have been searching for a way to handle this exact issue for over a year now. Hoping to hear of something soon!
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Sorry for the late reply.

Using EG's automation interface (scripting with VBScript or Windows Powershell) is going to be your best bet. I posted some example VBScript code in this post, that will allow you to execute whichever process flows in whichever order you would like:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/execution-Order-of-process-flow-in-a-project-usi...

Note: The easiest way to create a stock EGScript1.vbs file is to schedule your project (File->Schedule Project in EG). That will create the EGScript1.vbs file for you in the same directory as your project.  (You can immediately delete the scheduled task EG creates in Windows Task Scheduler, unless you actually want it run on a schedule.) Then you can open and edit the EGScript1.vbs file as desired and run it from command line. (Make sure your EG project is not open when you run the VBScript file.)

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Just to endorse @CaseySmith's comment. I've done something similar, and if you follow the process he suggests, scheduling the project and then using the .vbs file, it's really straightforward. I don't hesitate to recommend doing that.

Tom

elwayfan446
Barite | Level 11

Thanks Tom & Casey.  This was the solution I went with as well not too long after posting this question.  I agree, this was a great solution.  I appreciate all of the help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation