BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JohnH
Fluorite | Level 6
I have a group of SAS programmers who write a lot of complicated SAS code for simulations. They are power users of the old SAS debugger, which does not run in Enterprise Guide. (They are considering changing from SAS to a product that has a modern debugger interface.) Can anyone suggest a replacement for their debugging approach that steps through lines of code and displays the status of variables one step at a time that would work in EGuide? Is there an EGuide feature that would have Process flows run one line of code at a time and display values of variables at each step? Any other ways that people have discovered to enter some "template" code into programs to accomplish this idea?
4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
John,

Right now there is no interactive debugging capability available using EG. Debugging happens the old fashioned way (which many people use in display manager as well): PUT statements and MLOGIC and so on.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
frisco
Calcite | Level 5
Isn't a bit of wishful thinking to assume that code will never need to be debugged? I had a problem a few weeks ago where two tables weren't matching correctly because one of the columns had a leading space - this was not evident to the naked eye!!! I am trying to make a business case for EG - this sort of thing doesn't help (as in, You can do everything in a source code node that you could in the Enhanced Editor EXCEPT...)
deleted_user
Not applicable
there is an easy case to be made for E.G. (not least, lower cost per "seat") - but surely not to the entire exclusion of old SAS Display Manager which provides the interactive interface. Across a SAS customer site, many business analysts will praise the effectiveness of E.G. and a few techies will always have a need for DM on both desktop and (every) server.

PeterC
frisco
Calcite | Level 5
But my point is that our user group is accustomed to the Program Editor Environment and they are reluctant to give it up and use any difference as something they are giving up without getting anything in return. Certainly in a client-server environment, EG wins "hands-down" but try proving that to someone who has a previous version of SAS running on their desktop. Harder than you might think. Are there plans to include the debugger in a future release of EG? I certainly hope so.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation