BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi everybody,

I have a dataset which contains some faulty data values and a dataset which contains only the corrected values. The variable names are the same.

How do I replace the faulty values in my main data set with the ones in the corrected one?

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
deleted_user
Not applicable
I don't believe there is any GUI method to do this in E.G. It strikes me as rather more problematic than helpful to try and add such an interface. So if what I suggest does not work, you should contact Tech Support.

You will need a code node and write some SAS code to perform the update. SAS provide a sample of this code on their web site which you can find by visiting support.sas.com and searching the samples area, or the online documentation. Try this page. http://support.sas.com/kb/24/784.html

Kind regards

David
deleted_user
Not applicable
There are a number of ways to do it, but from another perspective, there is only one.

Obviously you have to read in both datasets, and replace the incorrect values with the corrected values.

Simply, in form:

Data original;
merge original correct_values;
by var1 var2 ... ;
run;
quit;

The order of original and correct_values is critical.

So, the first thing to do is make a practice set of datasets, and experiment with them until you are absolutely certain you are getting what you want/expect.

The second thing to do, is to be sure that only the variables that have invalid data are in the correct_values dataset to be sure you don't accidentally change variables in original that are correct.

The only other way is to change the variable names in the correct_values dataset set so that you can read in both, not collide by accident, and then explicily/manually set the correct values in the original. From this place, you can do an inplace using _infile_ and _file_ buffers, or some other method.
deleted_user
Not applicable
for a general update, use the update statement rather than the merge statement. Then changes will replace only new information -- the change records do not need to replace all variables/columns.

PeterC
deleted_user
Not applicable
I referred the correspondent to the SAS website deliberately. There are a number of problems with using the merge statement, beyond those that relate to the data order and any additional columns on the update data set.

If you are replacing a cell with a missing value or if the column already exists on the source table and the data are not unique at the level of the BY statement then the results will not be as expected.

There are a number of user papers along with very good detailed explanations of MERGE and UPDATE on the SAS website and these should be read carefully and understood.

Kind regards

David
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hey guys,

I tried to get things right using the update statement. Unfortunately it went wrong and I couldn't figure out what the problem is. Now I did it by left joining the corrected data and successively merging the right data in a few working steps. It worked.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation