BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KiranMaddi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello All

Please help me with the very annoying problem I am facing with SAS 9.3 EG 5.1 on Windows 7.

How do I keep my SAS session alive even after changing networks?

For Instance: I connect my laptop to LAN at work and obviously have to remove the connection when I go home that results in disconnecting from the server and loosing all my data in the work library. So I would have to run all the code again.

Is there a way to overcome this issue like keeping the session alive even after disconnecting and reconnecting the LAN or disconnecting from LAN and connecting to WIFI or reconnecting to a lost session?

Your help will be very much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

I suggest that you learn how to specify a permanent library and use that for data that needs to persist from SAS session to session. That has been the preferred and basically only method for SAS use for a very long time.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

As ballardw alluded to...  unfortunately no, there is not currently a way to disconnect EG from a server session and reconnect to the same session later (preserving temporary data, etc.).  Once the connection is severed, that server session cannot be re-established with EG.  We are researching and hoping to add this capability (disconnect/reconnect) in a future release, but for now ballardw's suggestion (using permanent libraries) is recommended if you frequently switch between networks.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I would say that reconnecting would be impossible when encryption is used, as the temporary keys would be lost when the connection is severed.

Best way is to write your codes in sections that produce persistent results, so that it is easy to continue from a given checkpoint. Which also makes it easier to hand over such projects to scheduled production.

KiranMaddi
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you guys for all your responses. Keep up your good work. Hope SAS soon makes this possible in the future releases.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation