BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rodrichiez
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I need some help. I created a project wihere in the first part the user enter a date range and a code, the result of this, update a table with credit card numbers, this table is use to populate a dynamic prompt where the users have the possibility to select the credit cards they want and another date range to bring the info of those credit cards.

My problem is that when I run the project, the program prompt the user to enter all the information when the correct function of the project is firstly to prompt the user, for date range and a code and then with that result, prompt the user again with another date range and a list of credit cards generated from the previous result.

I tried define a cascading prompt at the stored process steps, but it doesn't work.

Any idea?

prompt2.png

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

Does the second prompt somehow depend on the first? That's not really clear from your post.

rodrichiez
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @Reeza

The second prompt don't depend on the first. But, the result is use to populate the second prompt with credit cards numbers.

ballardw
Super User

@rodrichiez wrote:

Hi @Reeza

The second prompt don't depend on the first. But, the result is use to populate the second prompt with credit cards numbers.

Pretty much the definition of "depends on the first prompt".

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Maybe you can create a selection prompt and in your project check for which step is active.

Call the first selection "First step...." and the second "Second step..." or similar.

The first selection contains the prompts needed for the first step (!) and the second the prompts needed for the second (!) step.

You then need to check the macro variables to see which step is actually executed....

Could work?

🙂

//Fredrik

rodrichiez
Quartz | Level 8

@FredrikEI'm not familiarize with that: " check for which step is active." How could I know which step is active?

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think it works like this, you need to test it 🙂

When you run the first step the macro variables (prompts) in the second step are missing (or you can set a default value).

I also think that the selection prompt is a macro variable that you can chech for.

I think you might have some trouble to get it working exatly as you like, but you sohuld get closxe 🙂

//Fredrik

rodrichiez
Quartz | Level 8

@FredrikE I've tried selection group and it doesn't work. 

Reeza
Super User

I don't have EG installed at the moment, but I believe cascading prompts need a table registered in the metadata library. So you would have to register your main data.

I think this paper covers what you're trying to accomplish:

https://www.lexjansen.com/sesug/2015/172_Final_PDF.pdf

rodrichiez
Quartz | Level 8

@ReezaThis is not the same because in my case, the project need to run one time to obtain the credit cards numbers to populate the dynamic prompt from wich the user can choose in another prompt the cards he wants and after that selection the project should continue running.

Reeza
Super User

@rodrichiez wrote:

@ReezaThis is not the same because in my case, the project need to run one time to obtain the credit cards numbers to populate the dynamic prompt from wich the user can choose in another prompt the cards he wants and after that selection the project should continue running.

Think about it differently. The first two prompts build the second prompt which makes it a cascaded prompt. 

The first two filters can be applied to the third one, from what i understand. 

EDIT: you want pages 7+ to build the prompt, the situation is not exactly yours but the problem is the same underlying issue, building a prompt off a table which has to be first registered. 

rodrichiez
Quartz | Level 8

I've tried all the recommedations but did not work. So I divided the project on two stored process, one for populate the dynamic prompt and another one to select from the list of cards and enter the date range. Thanks all of you the suggestions and your time.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation