BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jen123
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, I have an excel file (XLSX) with 72 columns representing month (i.e. Jan-14, Feb-14, etc).  When I use proc import, the column header changes to sasdate:  jan-14 = 41640, etc. How can I get PROC IMPORT to show Jan-14, etc as the column header/variable? Here is my code: Proc Import Datafile="&xlsx./projecttracking.xlsx" Out=others DBMS=xlsx Replace; Sheet='Data_Others'; Getnames=Yes; DATAROW=2; MIXED=Yes; GuessingRows=32797; Run; Also, I am unable to use DATAROW in the code above.  Is DATAROW not compatible with DBMS=XSLX? Thank yoU!

6 REPLIES 6
jen123
Fluorite | Level 6

I copy/paste my code from sas to notepad/MS word/used the "Advanced Editor" function on this website and none displays my code as I intended it to.  Rather it's in sentence structure. What am I doing wrong?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Here's how I add code to a post:

- In SAS Enterprise Guide, right-click on a code selection and select Copy HTML Source to Clipboard

- In the message editor here, click HTML from the toolbar

- In the HTML view, find a snug spot after a <p></p> tag combo.

- Paste content

- Quick! Select Show Full editor again before your eyes bleed from the crazy HTML coding you see

Result:

Proc Import Datafile="&xlsx./projecttracking.xlsx"

Out=others DBMS=xlsx Replace;

Sheet='Data_Others';

Getnames=Yes;
    DATAROW=2;

MIXED=Yes;
    GuessingRows=32797;
Run;
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jen123
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris!  I copied your suggestion over to my 'cheat sheet". Now that Chris has put my code in an easier to read format: 1.  I have an excel file (XLSX) with 72 columns representing month (i.e. Jan-14, Feb-14, etc).  When I use proc import, the column header changes to sasdate:  jan-14 = 41640, etc. How can I get PROC IMPORT to show Jan-14, etc as the column header/variable? 2.  I am unable to use DATAROW in the code above.  Is DATAROW not compatible with DBMS=XSLX?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You might try RANGE= instead -- recommended in the documentation for DBMS=XLSX.   Also, if your columns are going to have nontraditional names like "Jan-14" (with the hyphen, you'll have to set:

options validvarname=any;

When you run the import step.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I would suggest that you do something in Excel to store character strings for your column headers instead of formatted numbers.

As an example I made a small sheet with 4 columns 'ID', 'Jan-15', 'Feb-15' and 2015-03-15 formatted to display as Mar-15.

Here is the result from PROC IMPORT.

269  proc import datafile='c:\downloads\date_example.xlsx'

270   dbms=xlsx

271   out=example

272   replace

273  ;

274  run;

NOTE:    Variable Name Change.  Jan-15 -> Jan_15

NOTE:    Variable Name Change.  Feb-15 -> Feb_15

NOTE:    Variable Name Change.  42078 -> _42078

NOTE: The import data set has 1 observations and 4 variables.

NOTE: WORK.EXAMPLE data set was successfully created.

NOTE: PROCEDURE IMPORT used (Total process time):

real time           0.06 seconds

cpu time            0.03 seconds

If you cannot fix then read the column headers from the metadata (or PROC CONTENTS output) and convert to what ever format you want and generate a RENAME statement to change the variable names.

proc sql noprint ;

select catx('=',name,substr(put(input(substr(name,2),8.)+'01JAN1900'd-2,date9.),3))

into :rename

from contents

where name like '^_%' escape '^'

;

quit;

comatt1
Calcite | Level 5

have you attempted to just format as a date object; and format how you like after doing this?

Proc print data=work.a;

var date;

format data mmddyy10.;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation