BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
18 REPLIES 18
noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7
Sorry I messed up the post and can not figure out how to edit the original post where I did not list the problem. I run

proc setinit;
run;

and have no problem. A colleague with the same license is doing this, his license just changed, and he gets

Error: The connection to the server has been lost.

We are trying to fix this, but don't know what is causing it.
noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7
I believe we both use the local servers on our computer although I am not in IT and am no expert in this. No one has ever actually told me this.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

With a local SAS installation, you will also have a link in your Start menu to start SAS directly without EG. Try that to see if the SAS System itself works.

noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7

noetsi_0-1662496878091.png

This is what happened when he tried.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

That screenshot is perfectly healthy. To get EG working again all you need to do is to edit the connection profile and repoint it at your local server.

noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7

SASKiwi (are you from NZ) 🙂 how would I do this?

"To get EG working again all you need to do is to edit the connection profile and repoint it at your local server."

I am not in IT, but since we have no SAS IT experts, they are going to want to know how that is done.🙄 We are an organization unfortunately with limited knowledge of SAS other than coding/analysis. Its why I ask here, no one in our IT unit knows anything about it.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

In EG, on the menu bar click Tools, then select Connections. This will bring up the Connection window. If no profiles appear in the Profiles list, select the Add button and that opens the Create Profile window. For the Server option select local and the IWA option. Filling out the the rest of the screen should be simple - use defaults where possible.

Note, you can use EG help to get more instructions on creating an EG profile.

Yep, based in Wellington NZ 😀

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You must get a SAS administrator (*), and also develop a strategy for your SAS usage. Depending on the number of SAS users and the necessary interactions between them, a centralized SAS server may be better than a heap of local SAS installations.

*) this does not mean you have to hire an additional person, but one of you needs to develop the necessary skills and knowledge, best through the appropriate SAS courses.

noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7
Its not my decision. We have a strange organization in that we bought SAS to do statistical, and SQL, analysis, but there is no interest in actually doing so. So they won't commit any resources including developing any expertise. I try myself, but I lack administrative rights at my organization (that is very much command orientated) to do many things. I do statistical analysis, but I have essentially no IT background other than coding and absolutely no authority to do key IT functions. Our strategy for SAS is to buy it then, other than what I do on my own, ignore it. After 12 years of this I am retiring.
noetsi
Obsidian | Level 7
Actually I apologize for my complaint - its a sore point with me and has been for years, that we won't support a software that we actually really need and that we put so little value on formal analysis. But this organization is entirely political and not data driven. So we spend lots of money on a software that, other than my license, we can't actually operate (there are two other licenses, neither works). I suggested getting rid of all but my license since I am the only one that ever uses it, and they said no. 🙂
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Since your license works it means they are still paying SAS.  So when you have an issue you can open a support ticket with SAS.  It is covered by your license fee.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@noetsi  - As @Tom says, if you are still having problems configuring your EG connection profile after trying my my instructions, then open a SAS Tech Support track. All it would take is an online call including screen sharing to walk you through it. They do this type of interaction all the time in my experience.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation