BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
hi,

i am quite new to the enterprise guide and have some problems getting started my first projects.

i try to import an Excel-Sheet that contains only two columns. The content of the columns is mixed: both some alphanumerical and some numerical values but without any other formats.

Example:
Row A | Row B
Z03 | 3
Z06 | (A)

What are the correct settings for importing that data?
With my try i only manage to import the content of row A correctly. Importing Row B alphanumerical values like "(A)" are not included.

What can i do ? Message was edited by: Chris55
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Chris,

I don't know the direct answer for your question, but have some ideas for debugging.

-- What version of EGuide? EGuide 4.2 has significant improvements in Excel imports.
-- In general, SAS looks through the beginning of the data set to determine the SAS data type for an Excel column. SAS may be treating "Row B" as numeric if "(A)" is deep in the data set. EGuide 4.2 has nice overrides on the "guessing".
-- File --> Import works differently from File --> Open. Try the other and see if it works.
-- Look through the forum for "excel import" for other people's question that may have your answer.
-- Read "SAS for Dummies" on the topic (first edition for 4.1, second for 4.2+).
-- google search

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
deleted_user
Not applicable
hi duke,

thanks for your ideas ...i currently use EG 4.1
Looking through the forums probably i have found a solution for my problem by using an IMPORT Procedure as follows:

PROC IMPORT OUT = COUNTRY_INFO
DBMS = EXCEL REPLACE
FILE = "C:\SGF2009\COUNTRY_INFO.XLS";
SHEET = "COUNTRY";
MIXED = YES;
RUN;

Unfortunenatly i get an error message "DBMS type Excel is not valid for import" while executing.

I havent found any workarounds for solving this problem so far.
Any ideas?
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Here is the SAS note about that option:

http://support.sas.com/kb/13/526.html

You need SAS/ACCESS to PC Files to use PROC IMPORT with Excel files.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation