BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PabloBrenner
Fluorite | Level 6

Guys,

I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out:

I have a column with date format, but when trying to user MONTH() oir YEAR() to extract information from it, the return is a blank cell.

Attached a pic of the query result.

Thanks a lot!

Pablo

SAS.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

That's a DATETIME field, not a DATE field. 

Use datepart() to convert to a date and then extract the month/year as desired.

month(datepart(date_var))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

That's a DATETIME field, not a DATE field. 

Use datepart() to convert to a date and then extract the month/year as desired.

month(datepart(date_var))

PabloBrenner
Fluorite | Level 6
Worked fine! Thanks a lot for the help and for explaining about the date format!
ballardw
Super User

Please slap any of your developers or data designers for calling that a date if that is why you thought it was a date value. Slap them twice if they are forcing continuing the time value parts around if they are ALWAYS 00:00:00. There seems to be some sloppy stuff regarding dates and possibly Microsoft defaults that are becoming very common place.

PabloBrenner
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm reading a table from an Oracle DB, at least when I read it in Oracle SQL Developer it is showing as a date field, but I will take some time to look into it, since we are thinking about automating some processes in SAS, this might turn out to be an issue upfront.

Thanks for the comment!

Sven111
Pyrite | Level 9

If your reading from an Oracle DB it may not be the designers fault.  Oracle doesn't have a standard date only type.  Even the type called DATE has hours, minutes and seconds included whether you want them or not.  As a result when SAS pulls a DATE column from Oracle it treats it as a DATETIME, since that's really what it is.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation