BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

When I select multiple tables and drag them to the project area, the icons for the tables show and I'm able to start working on the join statements, et al.  When I drag only one table to the project area, the table is automatically opened.  The data is often monstrous, so this is very time consuming as I have to wait for the sample rows to finally show.  Is there a way to turn this feature off?  I guess I could drag two tables over then delete one, but that's inefficient, too...

Your thoughts?
Thanks!

Rita Yee

Project Engineer, FedEx Express

Accepted Solutions
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Rita,

Have you tried Tools, Options, Data, Data General?  There's a check box there that says "Automatically open data when added to project."  Try unchecking that box.

Jim

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Rita,

Have you tried Tools, Options, Data, Data General?  There's a check box there that says "Automatically open data when added to project."  Try unchecking that box.

Jim

RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

Bless you 🙂

Well, I haven't tried it yet because my table is still trying to load.  Any suggestions on how I stop it without CTRL-ALT-DEL?? 🙂

I'm afraid you can't interrupt the table loading...  But, a slow-loading table is an indication of another problem.  Data -- even large data -- should not take that long to load into the data view, which reads only small batches of records at a time.  Unless the tables are extremely wide or are coming from a database/network location with high latency, you should not expect such a delay.

Making that better is usually a conversation with your SAS admin and maybe a database admin to see what can be done.  Might be a tweak on the library definition, or a different approach for how you access that data.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Another place that I've experienced slow initial loading of the view of the table is if the underlying data is a view in a database; although EG (via SAS) is only requesting a small number of records, in the background the database engine has to instantiate the entire view to return those records.

Turning off the preview, as Chris suggested, gets rid of this problem as well.

Tom

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Check (actually uncheck) this option in Tools->Options, Data, Data General:

opts.png

You might take a little time to explore some other options settings too.  You can eliminate several behaviors that you might find annoying -- not all of the out-of-the-box settings are best for everyone. Here are my recommendations.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks so much for pointing me to your blog!  These suggestions are great and will absolutely help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation