BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sefri
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I have a SAS EG project where I have 4 process flows and a Custom reports that exports reports as pdf files. The 4 process flows need to be processed before the custom reports. When I run the whole project sometimes the custom reports are processed before all 4 process flows are done which makes the project fail and SAS EG crashes.

Whenever I run my project step by step, process flow by process flow I never experience problems.

This leads to my question.

Is there a way where I can setup rules that decide the order of the process flows when I run a project?

Much appreciated!

Steen

7 REPLIES 7
Jay_TxOAG
Quartz | Level 8

Try an ORDERED LIST. It lets you execute Tasks/Programs in the order you want.

File/New/Ordered List

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I would hope there was an easier way; I've got 5 process flows and 65 tasks.  The ordered list does not seem to respect the process flow ordering, however, the documentation is nearly non-existent.

I have placed the process flows in the order that I want them to run in the Project Tree.  That seems to get everything in order EXCEPT the e-mails (as a setup in the process).  I don't do Custom Reports, but suspect it may be a similar glitch.  I have a track open at Tech Support, but owe them a sanitized process flow (my original data has patient information).

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Jay_TxOAG
Quartz | Level 8

I don't understand "The ordered list does not seem to respect the process flow ordering". Does this mean it is more difficult to set up the ordered list...or you literally cannot get the ordered list to follow the sequence you want? Just curious...I think the creating the ordered list after you have many, many tasks/programs is way to difficult, but I have got it to execute in the sequence I want.

sefri
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, for the replys guys.

I have created a ordered list now and it might be working. However, I see 2 problems with this solution.

1. I cannot make an order based on process flows. In the ordered list I can only choose the task which I almost have 100 of. Fortunately you can add many in go.

2. Since I cannot base my ordered list on process flows then it will not be dynamic. If I add another task then I would have to add it to the list as well.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You can use EG Automation to script the batch processing of your project and process flows, and have it be somewhat dynamic. 

Resources:

Doing more with SAS Enterprise Guide automation  (blog post)

Not just for scheduling: Doing more with SAS Enterprise Guide Automation (SAS Global Forum paper/sasCommunity.org page)

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

Hi

There is a easier way to change the order of the process flow without programming or using a ordered list.

Go to the process tree on the left hand side and use drag and drop to shift the order of the process flow(s)

I recommend you take the last process flow you want (usually the one where you create the output or script for sending e-mails) and drag it to the top.

Then starts moving the remaining process flows to the top in the order you want them to be.

It will recalibrate the order the want you want it.

Good luck

jblack38
Obsidian | Level 7

The last answer posted by sefri worked for me.

It seems like you have to change the order completely for EG to save your changes.

I have made minor changes to the order before with inconsistent results.

sefri's answer is a simple (yet strange) fix for this.

Jerry

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 6 in conversation