BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

I've encountered what seems to be an oddball error with the Copy Files Task, an Add-In for SAS EG.

Before I go on, let me first say that the Copy Files Task is so freaking wonderful and I'm absolutely ecstatic to have it at my disposal.  But I have noticed one oddball quirk:

When I would run one particular project, the Copy Files Task would "stall" mid-way.  That is, the Copy Files Task would begin execution and then simply stop, without transferring files.  Sometimes.  Other times, it would run just fine.  In all my other projects, the Copy Files Task would run 100% of the time, with nary a glitch.  

Let me here include screen prints of my log files so as to better illustrate the behavior that I have observed.  The first screenshot is of a normal run, a run in which the Copy Files task executed flawlessly (as it so often does):

Copy_Files_Normal.jpg

And all is right with the world.  But about half the time, I was getting this (NOT! normal):

Copy_Files_Stalled.jpg

Notice that the process "dies" right after "SAS log:"  

"What the heck?!?" I asked myself.  After digging through log files until my eyes glazed over thicker than a Krispy Kreme doughnut, I found this:

2015-11-22 07:01:42,236 [10] ERROR SAS.Tasks.CopyFiles.SasFileTransferTask [(null)] - Exception encountered!
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: text
   at SAS.EG.JobManagement.Job.AppendLog(String text)
   at SAS.EG.ProjectElements.CustomAddInLogAdapter.WriteText(String Text)
   at SAS.Tasks.CopyFiles.SasFileTransferTask.Run(ISASTaskTextWriter LogWriter)

Whereas in successful runs, I got this:

2015-11-21 07:01:49,260 [10] INFO  SAS.Tasks.CopyFiles.SasFileTransferTask [(null)] - Running Copy Files task: Copy KML

So, this is the problem description, and it's an intermittent problem, and that in only one out of many, many projects where the Copy Files runs flawlessly time after time.

I think I've identified the cause, and I've got an effective work-around, but I don't have a true solution.

I will list my work-around in a subsequent post, but I'm curious as to two things:

1.  Has anyone else encountered this error?

2.  Does anyone have a true solution?

Thank you, 

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

This is post #2 regarding an oddball error with the Copy Files Task:  Probable cause and workaround.

So, what I think is happening is an issue of timing.  This portion of the project looks like this:

Copy_Files_Not_Reliable.jpg

Notice that after the "Write_KML" program, the project flow branches into two independent steps:  "Copy KML" and "Email1".   Email1 is a very short program that formats and sends a brief email message.  What I think is happening is when "Copy KML" executes, there's some "hand off" during different phases of the overall Copy Files process, and in that hand off, SAS EG allows Email1 to begin execution.  Something like that.  Whatever the exact specifics of what is happening Email1 completes before the Copy Files task fully completes and the execution of Email1 somehow overlays or nulls out something that the Copy Files task writes out, causing the following error:

2015-11-22 07:01:42,236 [10] ERROR SAS.Tasks.CopyFiles.SasFileTransferTask [(null)] - Exception encountered!

The work around is fairly simple:  Restrain program Email1 from running until the Copy Files task is fully complete.  This restraint is easily effected by changing the process flow such that Email1 follows "Copy KML" as shown below:

Copy_Files_Reliable.jpg

That's it; that's all there is to it.  Simply move the quick finishing step to to execute after the instance of the Copy Files task.  It's not a true fix, but it is an effective work around.

Now I can sleep at night again.  🙂  Sheesh, these oddball timing problems will drive you nuts, I tell you.

Hope that helps someone out there,

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

This is post #2 regarding an oddball error with the Copy Files Task:  Probable cause and workaround.

So, what I think is happening is an issue of timing.  This portion of the project looks like this:

Copy_Files_Not_Reliable.jpg

Notice that after the "Write_KML" program, the project flow branches into two independent steps:  "Copy KML" and "Email1".   Email1 is a very short program that formats and sends a brief email message.  What I think is happening is when "Copy KML" executes, there's some "hand off" during different phases of the overall Copy Files process, and in that hand off, SAS EG allows Email1 to begin execution.  Something like that.  Whatever the exact specifics of what is happening Email1 completes before the Copy Files task fully completes and the execution of Email1 somehow overlays or nulls out something that the Copy Files task writes out, causing the following error:

The work around is fairly simple:  Restrain program Email1 from running until the Copy Files task is fully complete.  This restraint is easily effected by changing the process flow such that Email1 follows "Copy KML" as shown below:

Copy_Files_Reliable.jpg

That's it; that's all there is to it.  Simply move the quick finishing step to to execute after the instance of the Copy Files task.  It's not a true fix, but it is an effective work around.

Now I can sleep at night again.  🙂  Sheesh, these oddball timing problems will drive you nuts, I tell you.

Hope that helps someone out there,

Jim

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi Jim,

Well, it's a bug.  I'm not sure exactly what situation causes it, and maybe your workaround will provide a clue.

I assume you're using the 5.1 version of the task (file date 11/23/2013).  If we can determine the cause I might be able to fix it.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi, Chris,

Bug, schmug, this is a fabulous piece of code.  There's some kind of subtle timing thing going on here, something that only a clairevoyant could have forseen.  

Yes, I have the 5.1 version of the copy files task.  I downloaded it from the SAS Dummy blog on 8/26/2015. 

Copy_Files_ZipFile_Contents.jpg

You're welcome to my log files if you'd like to examine them (or if you have insomnia).  🙂

Jim

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Jim,

Yes, it's a timing thing.  The Copy Files task is doing its work on its background thread and maybe has contention with the SAS job that's potentially running in parallel.  I suspect that if I looked at your logs, I would see multiple tasks starting up simultaneously on different processor threads.  So it's definitely a bug, but it sounds like we agree that it's not a high-priority item.  I'm sorry you had to spend so much time investigating.

If you're okay with the workaround (use the User Defined Link to control the sequence), then that might need to be good enough for now.  

I have heard of the problem from one other user -- similar situation and the same workaround.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

Chris,

No hurry.  The workaround takes care of business for now, and I don't forsee any situations that might require me to have a true solution.

I'm going to go ahead and mark my work around as the "solution" so as to resolve this thread.  If a fix comes out, perhaps a brief note to that effect on SAS Dummy would be in order.

Thanks,

Jim

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation