BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LenFocus
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am using PowerShell 4.0 to call up SAS EG object for generating reports.

$eguideApp=New-Object -comObject  "SASEGObjectModel.Application.7.1"

Occasionally exception would be thrown with the following information in the error log:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'SAS.Shared.SharedEnvironment' threw an exception. ---> System.Management.ManagementException: Provider load failure
at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
at SAS.Shared.HWInfo.InitInfo()
at SAS.Shared.SharedEnvironment..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at SAS.Shared.SharedEnvironment.get_SharedDataFolder()
at SAS.EG.Scripting.Application..ctor(String _cmdLineProvider)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand.SafeCreateInstance(Type t, Object[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand.CreateComObject()
at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand.BeginProcessing()
at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoBeginProcessing()
at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessorBase.DoBegin() :

I have no idea what 's going on and try again to make all the things done.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I am not sure about what is going on over there, but I can imagine the following possibilities:

1 - A provider is failing, as your log mentions. For troubleshooting this, you can follow this wonderful guide https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2012/09/12/use-powershell-to-troubleshoot-provid...

2- When you manually load/run the EG client, are you finding any error anytime? Please check.

- Probably you can enable the Logs of Enterprise guide and see if there is anything over there: http://support.sas.com/kb/55/414.html 

3- I can see an error related to the load/location of the Shared Data folder, which is strange, unless you already made connection to a metadata server. If you did, maybe there is something on the metadata server logs (permissions on the Shared Data folder?)

4- Less frequent, but also possible, maybe not all the dlls of EG or .NET are properly registered. For .NET I suggest a clean re-installation of the framework, and for EG, you can run EGuide.exe -register (or /register). 

LenFocus
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Thanks but I still could not work out the solution in these few weeks.

1. Still trying but no hints can be found.

2. Manual launch did not show the error.

3. A connection has been set in the default profile an credential. I am not sure whether the connection is establishing once "new-object" is called.

4. I also think in this way. But not sure which .dlls I have to re-register.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I think the exception is happening when EG is trying to connect to your SAS environment using your stored credentials.  I don't know why it's happening, but if your script is running several times in succession or in parallel, perhaps it's a contention issue.  I don't think it's a DLL registration problem -- the fact that you're getting into EG application code shows that the EG object model is properly registered.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
LenFocus
Calcite | Level 5
Chris,
You are right. It's hard to find out what is going on.
I try to inspect the log files "powershell_log.#####.txt" generated by EG.

It was embarrassed that no such file generated when the problem occurred. The case was stuck on "New-Object" of "SASEGObjectModel". The case did not reproduce every time and occurred in an random manner. It was pretty hard to troubleshoot.
My information was only relied on the $_.Exception catched by PowerShell script.
LenFocus
Calcite | Level 5

WMI-activity has been shown the following event:

Id = {DC7E0B54-5DA3-0006-5A2B-83DCA35DD101}; ClientMachine = ABCDIIS01; User = contoso\user; ClientProcessId = 5288; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::CreateInstanceEnum - root\cimv2 : Win32_ComputerSystem; ResultCode = 0x80041013; PossibleCause = Unknown

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation