BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MicSun
Fluorite | Level 6

I have an encoding issue when query some special charactors from Oracle DB. SAS EG connected to UNIX server have issue to execute and error message is "ORA-29275 - partial multibyte character Enterprise Guide"

Followed instrution on NLS_LANG setting http://support.sas.com/kb/51/411.html  I edit Windows "user variable" by creating NLS_LANG paramater. It works on PC SAS or SAS EG (didn't connect to UNIX server). 

Also, after added NLS_LANG into UNIX .profile, UNIX SAS is fine but I have to send SAS code command under UNIX platform. 

Is there a way to edit SAS EG NLS_LANG, which was working in the UNIX server. It sitll couldn't pull the data (such as customer name or description note) with the same code.

5 REPLIES 5
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Submit this code from EG to check your server session encoding and locale, to make sure they are set as expected:

proc options group=languagecontrol;

run;

If not, you may be encountering the fact that EG sets the server session locale (which can also alter the server session encoding) by default to match the EG Display language.

In Enterprise Guide, see Tools->Options->General->Enterprise Guide language settings->Server session locale.  It defaults to "Use the Enterprise Guide display language".  In which case, when EG connects to a workspace server, it sets the locale on the server session to match EG's display language.  For example, if EG's Display langauge is English, the server session locale will be set to "EN_US".

Setting the locale on the server session will also change the encoding if not explicitly set on the server.  So, since the server session locale was set to "EN_US" by EG, the server session encoding might also result in WLATIN1.

If you want to preserve the default server session locale and encoding (as configured on the server), change EG's Tools->Options->General->Enterprise Guide language settings->Server session locale option to "Use the locale of the server".

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

MicSun
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Casey Smith for your reply.

After change SAS EG to "Use the locale of the server", there still is an error message "ORA - 29275 Multibyte character".

I think that what I need to change is "NLS_LANG" parameter/variable on SAS EG side as a business end user. So, I don't have access to edit "sasenv_local" as below.

File to modify:
/app/sas/sashome/SASFoundation/9.4/bin/sasenv_local
export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Is anyone have other suggestion to resolve this issue?

Used "env|grep NLS" in UNIX server and check NLS is correct as below 
NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8

Thank you

MicSun
Fluorite | Level 6
NLS_LANG parameter is correct in UNIX and same code works fine to pull data from Oracle DB, which NLS_LANG is "AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8".
However, SAS EG didn't refer to UNIX server variables and had that Oracle error message.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@MicSun

SAS EG is your client which sends SAS code to a SAS Server (i.e. SASApp) for execution. It's the NLS_LANG setting on the SAS Server side which needs to change.

Changing server side configurations is nothing a SAS end user can do. This is a SAS Admin task and you should contact the SAS Admin at your site to get this resolved.

MicSun
Fluorite | Level 6

@Patrick

Thank you for your prompt response. I will reach out our company Technology team.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation