BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

We appear to be having some kind of problem with latency and/or project locks. We have noted these issues when 2 users work in the same project:

1. User A doesn't see User B's updates until they log out and log back in.

2. User B's updates are discarded when User A works in the project.

Has anyone seen these issues?  Is the solution that we just don't work in the project at the same time?  We could make that our policy if we could find a way to get the system to alert us when other people are currently in the project.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Sorry, with holidays and all it took a while to get the ducks in a row, but my former colleagues have given this a try and the result was exactly what I expected. In a network environment, if I have an EG project that's on a network drive open, and you try to open it, it will succeed, but you'll get a "this project is open in read-only mode because someone else has it open" message.

Based on that, I believe there's something set up incorrectly in your environment. Your tech support should have a look at it.

Tom

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Reeza
Super User

Are you using a source control system in addition to EG? Or just 'plain' EG projects?

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

I don't know what a "source control system" is - I'm just a plain Jane user and have no idea what our contractor might be doing on the back end. Is there a way to find out if something like that is being used?

Reeza
Super User
You'd know if you were using it 🙂
AFAIK projects are not designed for multiple people to be working on them at the same time, it's kind of like an Excel file. If you had multiple modifying the same thing you run into issues. Unless you have implemented some form of version control system such as GIT that would allow you to version and store your code. But working on the same project between groups is inherently going to cause issues.

I would wait on an official response from SAS in case there are other options in EG that would allow something like this or something in the works 🙂
brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks! And hopefully we will get that official SAS answer.  We can certainly try to avoid being in the same project at the same time if we can figure out how to know when someone else is logged in. Does anyone have a way to quickly check when going into a project to see if someone else is already in it?

BTW, we use a Citrix virtual machine to connect to Enterprise Guide, so I'm not sure if that complicates things. 

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Screen0815.pngWhen I have a specific Enterprise Guide project open, and I open it a second time, the second instance receives this message. EG is very much intended to be only used by one user at a time.

I'm speculating that something in your Citrix environment is interfering with EG's ability to detect that the project is already open.

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

TomKari, thank you, that is a great hint to what is going on.  None of us are seeing the message you pictured which would alert us that someone else is in the project.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

So I just did a test to confirm my recollection, which is that in Windows if I have two Notepad sessions open on the same dataset, I'll get no notification of a conflict. The last session saved will be the one that ends up on the disk.

This implies that there's no O/S process to serialize program access to files; it must be being done by the program.

My suggestion is redo the test I did with trying to open the same EG project twice on a non-Citrix environment, to ensure that your version of EG is behaving the same, giving the "read only" notification to the second opener. If that's the case, it sounds like your Citrix environment is somehow not providing the EG program with the information that someone has already opened a project. At this point, you should probably report it to SAS Tech Support, as it's not something that anyone on this forum is likely to be able to investigate.

Tom

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

TomKari,

We use SAS exclusively through a Citrix virtual machine and don't have a way to access it otherwise, so we can't do the troubleshooting step you suggest. I think you are probably right that this needs to go to tech support, though, probably to our contractor who provides access to SAS.

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

We went ahead and reported the issue to our contractor who provides access to SAS (not to SAS). The contractor help desk currently has our request for an alert that someone else is in the project tagged as an "enhancement request." If I'm understanding the previous posts correctly, though, this is something we should be getting with SAS - an error to correct - not an enhancement to request. Right?

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Based on the test I ran, when you open an EG project that someone else has open you should get a diagnostic response.

I've asked some ex-colleagues to run a test in their server environment, just as a double check. I'll report back when they let me know what happened.

Tom

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8
TomKari,

Thank you, I appreciate it!
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Sorry, with holidays and all it took a while to get the ducks in a row, but my former colleagues have given this a try and the result was exactly what I expected. In a network environment, if I have an EG project that's on a network drive open, and you try to open it, it will succeed, but you'll get a "this project is open in read-only mode because someone else has it open" message.

Based on that, I believe there's something set up incorrectly in your environment. Your tech support should have a look at it.

Tom

brookeewhite1
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you for checking for us! I have opened a ticket and hope to eventually get this resolved.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Please let us know what the resolution is. I'm sure this will happen to others, and it will be helpful to have it documented here.

Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation