BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mphrna1989
Calcite | Level 5

I am attempting to build a multinomial logistic model that predicts various states of a loan's performance (ie., Current, Past Due, Defaulted, Paid off). Although proc logisitc would seem like a good candidate, the issue is that prepayment has very different drivers than default/delinquency. Even though I could use a variable selection procedure, it still selects undesired variables. Ideally, I would prefer to have different sets of variables for prepayment, while preserving the joint modeling. Is there a way to do this? 

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

the issue is that prepayment has very different drivers than default/delinquency

Regardless of what you are modelling, or what modelling method you use, this sounds to me like a perfect and justifiable reason to use different models.

--
Paige Miller
mphrna1989
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the feedback. The advantage of modeling the events jointly is that I could account for the correlation between paying off and defaulting. Of particular concern is that one who is likely to payoff is extremely unlikely to default. To your point, I do currently model them separately, and I do certainly see the validity in that argument.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If you are looking to understand and interpret the model that has been fit, I can't see one model giving good interpretability, because as you said, the drivers are different.

If you just want a model that predicts well, but has low interpretability, then I can see one model working.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

I think you need to consider context here, which we don't have. 

Is pre-payment the one where a person has to pre-load a credit card with X amount and then borrows against it, or is it people who pre-pay their loans or pay higher amounts? 

Depending on what you're trying to do, perhaps you can use a stratification approach (STRATA) for the loan type? 

If it's the first case, I would say they don't fit into regular loans because the bank has already identified them as high risk. 

If it's the second, I would lean to including that as a factor/categorical variable in the model.

mphrna1989
Calcite | Level 5

Prepayment is when a borrower pays off their loan. The primary driver here would be their cost savings (ie., refinancing and getting a lower rate). So, essentially, a loan can terminate by prepaying or defaulting. Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation