BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tj_chua
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there!

I have scheduled to run EGP (through Windows Task Manager and VBS) but every so often we notice that the EG's connection profile is gone and the proccesses cant run because there is no EG connection profile. I have EG v5.1

would any one know how to resolve this?

Regards!

7 REPLIES 7
AndrewHowell

Some thoughts:

• "Processes cant run" - any error messages and/or log files you could include to help us to help you?
  • Is the VB script running, but failing to invoke EG?
  • Can you modify the VB script to determine the Return Code after EG is called?
  • Is SAS on a server somewhere, or is it local to your workstation?
  • Are you running EG on your workstation or on a Citrix client (which may not share your connection profile across all shared clients)?
  • Does the connection profile in question store a user id and password, or does it use Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA)?
  • How many scheduled tasks?
  • Are they all run as the same user (and therefore the same connection profile)?

I'm also pretty sure you can pass a specific connection profile as a parameter when VB invokes EG - maybe try forcing a specific connection profile.

And can you please send us the connection profile file (minus any passwords)?

PNFP-Paul
Calcite | Level 5

We are experiencing the same issue--the entire selection of user profiles has been deleted.  Was anything learned about this that we can reference and find a solution?

jguzlecki
Fluorite | Level 6

We experienced this recently and it was quite annoying to discover such a simple issue could cause so much havoc.

Has anyone ever found a cause for a connection profile (or profiles) to simply vanish with no explanation?

In our environment, this is on a server running 100's of jobs throughout the day, then suddenly all jobs which used a VBS to launch EGP were no longer executing.  We finally discovered the connection profile was simply gone, with no rhyme nor reason...

Any insight is appreciated.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

This SAS note explains some of the reasons why this may occur: http://support.sas.com/kb/58/246.html

Are any of these relevant to your situation?

BTW, this is one of the reasons I would not use EG-based scheduling for business-critical work - it is inherently less reliable that server-based scheduling.

jguzlecki
Fluorite | Level 6

I do not believe the SAS note is the cause of the issue we experienced, but thanks for the hint.

I'm intrigued by your statement "BTW, this is one of the reasons I would not use EG-based scheduling for business-critical work - it is inherently less reliable that server-based scheduling.".  As I'm fairly new to this world, I'd love to hear any recommendations.

To give you a better understanding of our environment, these jobs are running on a dedicated server and are scheduled using Control-M.  There are 100's of daily jobs scheduled on this server.  Many are straight-up SAS programs that are executed, some are ITRM jobs and others are processes within EGP launched using a VB Script.  (pardon me if I've butchered any nomenclature)

Generally these jobs run fairly smooth, with the occasional external-caused failure, however in this particular case, these EG jobs using the EGP VBScript simply stopped executing.  Unfortunately, as the VBScript didn't pass back an error Control-M expected it erroneously flagged the job as completed, but that's a whole different can-of-worms.

After many hours of troubleshooting these jobs (source data validation, connectivity, recent changes, etc.) we determined we could manually run the jobs from EG on our desktops and they executed successfully.  Digging into the server and executing them as the scheduler account, along with altering the error-trapping code in the VBScript we finally were enlightened to the fact the Connection Profile didn't exist.  We were able to simply create a new connection profile and the world was right again.

The oddest part is, other jobs had run merely minutes prior successfully using the same VBScript/EG/Connection Profile, then suddenly, poof, profile gone.

Thanks for any insight or recommendations.

Jim

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@jguzlecki - Thanks for all the details regarding scheduling in your SAS environment. That helps me give a more useful response.

Firstly I would recommend doing all of your scheduling on your SAS server if reliability is important. Sticking with Control-M is the way to go. Secondly, I suggest you consider exporting the SAS code from your EGP's and schedule that also with Control-M. This avoids any issues with the VBA scheduling, and the reliance on EG connection profiles.

jguzlecki
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for the advice... Sounds like we have a new project for 2019!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation