BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
csumby
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi folks,

noob here and totally wet behind the ears. I am not so much a user but more platform support. Our legacy system includes SAS EG 7.2. We understand that to fully utilize Viya and EG we will need to move to EG 8+. Now, in the meantime I have one of my guys requesting access to the EG 7.2 web interface that I never knew existed! Has anyone got any experience of such? I think he may be getting confused with the standalone 8+ we are installing.....

Best regards,

Colin 

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

SAS Viya 2020+ (also known as SAS Viya 4) does not support connections from EG. Rather, the SAS Studio environment has evolved to support many of the flow/task/programming features that you're accustomed to from EG. See the most recent updates for SAS Studio on our Release Highlights forum.

SAS Viya 3.5 supports EG connections in certain cases. These require some additional info from your SAS account team to enable it -- it's not a mainline use case, but it's designed to help with transitioning.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @csumby ,

I happen to know your use case a little bit.

You are moving from SAS 9.4 Office Analytics to SAS VIYA 3.5.

As it is VIYA 3.5 (and not yet VIYA 4) you can indeed use SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 as a front-end tool, ... for most of the work.

Enterprise Guide is a Windows Client application that can connect to a SAS server (also a SAS server running on a non-Windows OS, like Linux/UNIX).

There's no such thing as a EGuide 7.2 web interface.

But your new VIYA 3.5 is browser-based and the typical programming front-end tool in SAS VIYA is SAS Studio (browser-based).
The SAS Studio V that comes with SAS VIYA 3.5 has an enhanced editor (and LOG and Results and advanced programming features), but also contains tasks and code snippets. The tasks allow you to code in a point-and-click way (mainly procedure code).

To fully work like in Enterprise Guide you can use the SAS Studio Flows, but I think they are not yet available in SAS VIYA 3.5, but they are there in SAS VIYA 4.

If your users are using Enterprise Guide 7.x as a programming front-end, they can just as well move to SAS Studio.
If your users are using Enterprise Guide 7.x with single tasks, then they can shift to the SAS Studio tasks.

If your users are using Enterprise Guide 7.x to make long chains with EG-tasks, then they can shift to Enterprise Guide 8.3 (as SAS VIYA 3.5 does not yet have the SAS Studio flows for making long chains with intersections and dependencies and precedence relationships and so on).

And as @ChrisHemedinger says, you can always turn to your SAS account team for more info on the peculiarities / particulars and intricacies.

But I'm also glad that you have discovered the SAS communities, which are a great source of information and knowledge.

Kind regards and good luck,

Koen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation