BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Am I the only person totally confused by the switch to metadata in SAS9 (and E.G. of course). Maybe it was there in ver. 8.2 and I was just oblivious - now I am somewhat familiar with the information contained in the dictionary tables and corresponding sashelp views. However, where I am working we go thru contortions to create new permanent SAS datasets, can *not* write to "sasuser" and the list goes on.

I recently came across a SAS note, SN-014080, supplied by one of the terrific Tech Support consultants. But shouldn't there be an easier way to understand how metadata impacts the way we use SAS in SAS9, especially if we've used the product for a while.

In closing I have to repeat "Am I the only one" confused by all this.

AdThanksvance
Bernie Zimmerman
1 REPLY 1
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Bernie,

You are not alone! There is no denying that SAS 9 introduces a whole new dimension of metadata to the traditional concepts of SAS libraries, and that this is a source of confusion for many traditional SAS users. The metadata is necessary to provide access permissions and facilitate new concepts such as Information Maps.

As much as possible, we are working to make this "just work" for the users of our client products like Enterprise Guide. Enterprise Guide 4.1, in conjunction with SAS 9.1.3 SP4, does provide some more options for library behavior that can get you closer to the behavior you are accustomed to.

For example, using the SAS Enterprise Guide Explorer (off the Tools menu), an administrator can "tag" your library definitions so that EG can assign them:
- with the native library engine (bypassing metadata)
- with the META engine showing only registered tables (as EG 3.0 does now)
- with the META engine, showing all tables -- even those not registered yet in metadata.

As you note, SASUSER is "read-only" in the default SAS 9 deployment (via the -RSASUSER option). This is done to accomodate multiuser-type servers (such as Stored Process servers) where the concept of a SASUSER area doesn't apply. Workarounds include:

- designating another user-specific library location to save your "permanent" output.

- removing the -RSASUSER option from workspace server configurations if you don't need it. Keep in mind that if you publish your EG project work as a stored process, the stored process server will not be able to write output to SASUSER.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation