BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tharless
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide version 7.12 (7.100.2.3350) (64-bit).

I am having a odd issue and can't seem to find an answer through searches. When i start my pc up, if i go to one of my mapped network drives and try to open a SAS EG file, it will open SAS EG but then tell me it cannot find the file. Exact error below.

Cannot find the file "Y:\folder path\file name.egp" on "My Computer".

If I go into file> open>  Project, my mapped drive has a red x (as if its not connected even though I am accessing it through the mapped drive folder) and once I click it and find my file (or any file) then I'm good until next time I restart.

This is not a huge inconvenience, but i think it's preventing some of my scheduled files from running if I have not connected it since last time I restarted pc. 

Anyone seen this and maybe have a fix or work around?

8 REPLIES 8
ballardw
Super User

Talk to you network admin, this is not a SAS problem but a network issue.

My IT folks have been doing a lot of "system upgrades" resulting in frequent network disconnects so I feel your pain.

Tharless
Calcite | Level 5

When I open up a folder and go to "My Computer" all my mapped drives are connected there, its only when i go through the open> project in SAS that they show not connected. That is why I was thinking was a SAS issue. I will see if I can find anything on the netwrok side that might be the cause. Thanks for the reply.

ballardw
Super User

Depends on where things are stored and how they are actually accessed and timing.

My recent issues were I was actually working using networked drives and then I would start getting errors about LIBNAME doesn't exist or output paths not existing. Then I would see disconnect indicators.

I'll repeat my local IT slogan: "Did you shut everything down and reboot?".

But there is a part you may be missing if you are using EG to connect to a server to run SAS. Your local connection to the drives may exist just fine but the Server may not have those connections. Or even more fun, something changed the mapping so the server connected Drive R points to a different location than you think Drive R would be.

Tharless
Calcite | Level 5

So I just have .egp files located on the mapped shared drives and when i try to open them I get the can not be found error.

Rebooting is when it disconnects so that doesn't work haha. 

But I found that since I am not using the mapped drive name in my scripts, I use the full file path name, that is runs just fine. So at this point since my automation works it's just a minor annoyance. I appreciate you taking the time to help me try and figure it out.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is a good question.  Are you sure that you are running Enterprise guide on your machine?  

Perhaps you are actually running Enterprise Guide on some other Windows machine?  Via Citrix or remote desktop connection?

Enterprise Guide runs on Windows but the actually SAS process could be running on a different machine using a different operating system.   However the .egp Project files are used directly by Enterprise Guide and not by SAS so where SAS is running should not have an impact on this.

Tharless
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I am not remoted into any other machines, just running from my system. I do know that we use a SAS server, so maybe that is what is preventing the disconnect. Oddly tho, i noticed that there is 1 of my mapped drives that shows connected after start up, its not one i have any .egp files on, its one that every employee here has access to so, maybe it a security setting on the drive itself. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Tharless wrote:

Yes, I am not remoted into any other machines, just running from my system. I do know that we use a SAS server, so maybe that is what is preventing the disconnect. Oddly tho, i noticed that there is 1 of my mapped drives that shows connected after start up, its not one i have any .egp files on, its one that every employee here has access to so, maybe it a security setting on the drive itself. 

If it is the SAS code that cannot find the drive then that makes sense.  Have them make sure that the server and the user that is actually being used to run your SAS code can access the drive. 

Does it really use a mapped drive on the server?  Then make sure that in addition to security settings also check that the drive is automatically mapped.  Either when the server starts or when the SAS process on the server starts so that it is available by the time SAS tries to run the code that is referencing it.

IsoTropic
Fluorite | Level 6

Well it appears that SAS EG has some definite problems with the storage design.

Why is there a local "D:\" mapped for output then you fn' needed to EXPORT so as to have access.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation