BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Working with Sas Management Console (SAS 9.4). We have a Library of 20 data sets that are used by two different Groups.

1.- We want Group A to have access to ALL of them, which works fine

2.- We want Group B to only see 2 tables

Unfortunately this seems impossible to set with SMC, even when we REMOVE all permissions (RM/WM/CIMD/R/W/C/D) are set to Deny, users of Group B still have access to ALL tables.

What are we missing???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Kurt,

Thank you very much for your input. Yes indeed, folders is a good clean way to do it.

I managed to get it going with the 'MetaData Secured Library' and setting the Linux User/Group permissions accordingly.

'proc authlib' with SAS EG was of great help.

Thank you ALL above who contributed on this post, you are wonderful and I hope I can return the favor.

Yvan

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Kurt,

No, just that group.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@RexDeus9 wrote:

Hi Kurt,

No, just that group.

That's your problem. Deny for SASUSERS (PUBLIC should already be denied), and then allow selectively for your groups.

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Kurt,

Sorry, I was wrong in my first reply, SASUsers are DENIED everything.

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, they are totally different.

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

I think what you need to do is:

For EACH table:

- Deny rm and r for SASUSERS.

- Grant rm and r for group A

- Grant rm and r for internal sas users (SAS Admins, SAS General servers...)

On the 2 tables:

- Deny rm and r for SASUSERS.

- Grant rm and r for group A

- Grant rm and r for group B

- Grant rm and r for internal sas users (SAS Admins, SAS General servers...)

//Fredrik

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Fredrik,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it doesn't change anything. I removed ALL permissions to 'sasusers' and 'public' as well, on top of Group B.

Group B still has access to ALL tables for that Library. I really wonder why SAS even bothers providing the 'Authorization' tab at this level (Tables).

Getting pretty frustrated with this.:-(

Yvan

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I assume you know that permissions at the metadata level can be bypassed by users assigning their own LIBNAMEs pointing at the table folders, unless you use metadata-bound libraries. Are you OK with that?

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I browsed the documentation, not sure it's worth the pain for a few tables, or maybe it's just me.

NunoTGrunho
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Where are you setting that permissions, at libname level, folder level?

Are the tables that you trying to grant and deny registered on metadata?

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Permissions are set on he following:

- Library level (They will never see the library without this one)

- Folder of the Library

- Table in the Library folder

Yes, the tables are registered in the Metadata.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You mean metadata-bound libraries? I agree totally  - you would have to have a much better reason to justify implementing MBLs.

Just pointing out, you can spend a lot of time getting metadata permissions right only for users to bypass them...

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

How do you access the tables in question? By browsing through the SAS metadata folders, or by opening them from the server list in Enterprise Guide, or in code?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation