BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

History:

I use SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 to connect to a Teradata Database.  I DO NOT CODE.  I create a new process flow, drag and drop tables, then build a query with them.  I may do a series of queries from the results of the original query.  I will often do Summary Tables.  

Issue:

Apparently, I am connecting to the Teradata database using the mode ANSI.  My peers all code in SAS EG, never using the process flow.  They are able to alter the LIBNAME statement for each of their projects to set the mode to TERA, or TERADATA, whatever the case may be.  I do not have this option when using the process that I follow.

Question:

Can anyone tell me how to change the connection mode for my SAS EG to Teradata database when using the process flow/query wizard options?

If I cannot figure this out shortly, I will lose my connectivity as the dba has announced he will cut all ANSI connections!

I appreciate any help you can provide.  My SAS administrator here has no answers for me.

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

The ideal scenario for you is for your SAS Admin to change the metadata library definition as already proposed by @SASKiwi .

Depending on your environment and its use such a change could require significant regression testing due to its potential impact.

Should you get too much push-back for implementation of this change to the metadata library definitions then a still low code alternative option for you could be:

1. Get the libname statements your colleagues are using

2. Per EG project add these libname statements as script that gets executed once when you connect to a SAS server. Any libname statement in this script will replace the libname definition from SAS metadata with the same libref. After that everything else will look and behave the same.

Patrick_0-1708559599765.png

Setting SAS Program and Editor Options / Submit SAS code when server is connected

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

So how are you creating your Teradata database connection or does the connection already exist in your EG Servers window under Libraries? If so, posting a screenshot of Properties of that Library will be helpful.

RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

I have a SAS Metadata Repository profile that I log into when I open the software:

RPYee_0-1708550796939.png

Once I log in, my database is listed in the Servers list:

RPYee_1-1708550859016.png

If I right-click on the database that I want to use and select "Properties", it shows an area under "Options" that looks like I might be able to define a new connection mode, but I have no idea where this statement holds its information. (see below)

RPYee_2-1708551167331.png

Hope this gives you some ideas what I'm working with.  I appreciate your help!

OK, It's obvious that that library definition is stored in SAS metadata. This is something that your SAS administrator maintains. So all it requires is for the SAS administrator to edit the library properties in SAS Management Console and add this option in this screen:

SASKiwi_0-1708556742743.png

Note this the same as doing the MODE option in a LIBNAME statement.

RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

I sent your suggestion to my administrator.  He said he'd take care of it.  I am using the custom option selection in the meantime.  Thanks for your input!

The ideal scenario for you is for your SAS Admin to change the metadata library definition as already proposed by @SASKiwi .

Depending on your environment and its use such a change could require significant regression testing due to its potential impact.

Should you get too much push-back for implementation of this change to the metadata library definitions then a still low code alternative option for you could be:

1. Get the libname statements your colleagues are using

2. Per EG project add these libname statements as script that gets executed once when you connect to a SAS server. Any libname statement in this script will replace the libname definition from SAS metadata with the same libref. After that everything else will look and behave the same.

Patrick_0-1708559599765.png

Setting SAS Program and Editor Options / Submit SAS code when server is connected

RPYee
Quartz | Level 8

This WORKED LIKE A CHARM!! At least, I did what you said and my programs ran fine.  Now, I'm just waiting for the DBA to confirm the success, but I'm confident it's working.  I appreciate your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation