BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Lee_1
Calcite | Level 5

I just installed SAS EG 4.3 (working with my company to get a newer version).  When I go to import excel I can't get past Step 1 in the wizard.  See attachment, I don't have an option to go to Step 2.  Could it be a server issue?

Import wizard.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So you have a SAS installation but somehow the license was not updated.

Actually, once you get a simple setinit.sas file with the license procedure (proc setinit) included, you can run

\path_to_sas\sas.exe -setinit -sysin \path_to_sas_file\setinit.sas

from the cmd window, and everything should be fine.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User

it's trying to run locally, but it may depend on your setup. 

Try a basic proc import code? 

EG 4.3 may not be able to deal with XLSX files depending on the SAS version behind the scenes. 

Lee_1
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply, I tried it as xls and the same problem. When I try to open the “Local” under the Servers menu I get a connection error.  Can you help me with the setup?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then try to start SAS in Display Manager mode.

In Windows, go to Start - All Programs - SAS - SAS 9.4 and start that. See if it starts up OK or has problems.

Lee_1
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, this must be my problem.  I get the message attached when I try to login...I have contacted our company IT folk to hopefully resolve the issue.

SAS logon.JPG
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So you have a SAS installation but somehow the license was not updated.

Actually, once you get a simple setinit.sas file with the license procedure (proc setinit) included, you can run

\path_to_sas\sas.exe -setinit -sysin \path_to_sas_file\setinit.sas

from the cmd window, and everything should be fine.

Reeza
Super User

2000?  Something seems off there...is this a new SAS installation?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Reeza wrote:

2000?  Something seems off there...is this a new SAS installation?

That also occured to me. Maybe there are remnants of an old and never used SAS install that tricks EG into assuming there's a working local SAS, while in fact EG is a part of a pure client/server setup.

If client/server is the case, then the import needs to be reworked.

Lee_1
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks everyone, I contacted IT and received a new licence key.  This has solved my problem.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

SETINIT is definitely the problem here, and unfortunately SAS EG can't provide a good error message when the license has already expired -- because it can't connect to SAS to find out the issue!

For other people trying to get EG to work with a Local SAS, check out these explanations and steps.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation