BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
msuri113
Calcite | Level 5

I am unable to get common Id's from two different Teradata server tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Please show the code you have tried, and describe the problem.  Are you getting errors in your log, or just unexpected results?  If the results are unexpected, please describe what you are getting for results, and what you expect.

Assuming you have SAS libraries pointing to the two different servers, it should be possible to join them.  But I assume you will need to pull the data into SAS first, unless there is a way in Teradata for the two Teradata servers to see each other's data.  If the teradata servers can see each other's data, then from SAS you should be able to send an explicit pass-through query to one of the teradata servers and have it run the join and then send only the results of the join back to SAS.

I haven't played with Teradata much.  But I know with SQL server you can configure two different SQL server instances on different servers to see each other's data.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Quentin
Super User

Please show the code you have tried, and describe the problem.  Are you getting errors in your log, or just unexpected results?  If the results are unexpected, please describe what you are getting for results, and what you expect.

Assuming you have SAS libraries pointing to the two different servers, it should be possible to join them.  But I assume you will need to pull the data into SAS first, unless there is a way in Teradata for the two Teradata servers to see each other's data.  If the teradata servers can see each other's data, then from SAS you should be able to send an explicit pass-through query to one of the teradata servers and have it run the join and then send only the results of the join back to SAS.

I haven't played with Teradata much.  But I know with SQL server you can configure two different SQL server instances on different servers to see each other's data.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
msuri113
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for quick reply Quentin.
We need common Id's from both teradata servers tables based on where condition We filtered two server tables.We have big data in both Teradata servers, so, the reason if I filter the data from Teradata server-1 it will get huge Id's and server-2 as well. My question is I want to execute both Teradata server tables with join condition and apply the where clause same time then will get common Id's .
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

So @Quentin asked "Please show the code you have tried, and describe the problem. Are you getting errors in your log, or just unexpected results? If the results are unexpected, please describe what you are getting for results, and what you expect." You didn't do that.

--
Paige Miller
Quentin
Super User

If you were submitting native teradata queries on one of the teradata servers, would you be able to query data from the second teradata server?

If not, then I don't see how you can avoid pulling the ID's from both servers down to SAS to do the join.

I suppose you could try pulling just one set of ID's from teradata  server A and then you could push the ID's up to teradata server B and do the join in teradata.  So that would only require transferring one set of ID's, but you would have to pull it from server A and then push it to server B, so it's still a lot of time moving data.

I would work with your admins to see if you can get a fast connection between the two teradata servers.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation