BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JenniferLB08
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I'm new to SAS and using Enterprise Guide on a Windows VM has posed some difficulty in working with data stored locally. I use the Import Wizard to open local files and assign it to a library I've created in the Management Console. After I do that, how do I save the data? I see a table is created in the library, does that mean it is "saved"? From there, how do I start a new program to work with the data? Going to File>New>Program doesn't connect them in the Process Flow and adding a Libname doesn't work either. 

I'm sorry if this sounds all over the place. I'm so new I don't really know how to describe what I'm trying to do other than, once I use the Import Wizard in SAS EG and it opens, how can I start a new program to do basic stuff like rename columns?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bobpep212
Quartz | Level 8

Once you go through the import wizard, you are basically creating a SAS dataset saved in your library, either a permanent library, or work library. So, yet, it should be saved at that point. You can run any sort of task, like query builder. It will ask for your SAS dataset as the input and you would just navigate to that library and SAS dataset from your server tree. Or, from the process flow, you can right click on the output dataset from your import and it will give options on what you can do with it.

You can add new programs that references that dataset, but you won't see the line to connect the steps import step to that program. But you can manually add it. This is also helpful to control the order your programs run in (also check out ordered lists for that).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bobpep212
Quartz | Level 8

Once you go through the import wizard, you are basically creating a SAS dataset saved in your library, either a permanent library, or work library. So, yet, it should be saved at that point. You can run any sort of task, like query builder. It will ask for your SAS dataset as the input and you would just navigate to that library and SAS dataset from your server tree. Or, from the process flow, you can right click on the output dataset from your import and it will give options on what you can do with it.

You can add new programs that references that dataset, but you won't see the line to connect the steps import step to that program. But you can manually add it. This is also helpful to control the order your programs run in (also check out ordered lists for that).

JenniferLB08
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the explanation of the Import Wizard--that helps. I also did see how to connect a new program to the file that was opened from the Wizard but when I run the program I get an error that says 'File Work.MyData.Data does not exist'. This seems weird because I didn't save the data to the Work folder when I used the Wizard. Is there an additional step I should be doing?

bobpep212
Quartz | Level 8

What is the name of the libref of where you did store the dataset? If you aren't sure, I would use the server list, navigate to local ->Libraries and then look for the folder where you did store your SAS dataset. Then, edit your program and replace WORK.MyData with <libref>.MyData, where <libref> is the library where the dataset is stored.

Reeza
Super User

There's a SAS EG tutorial available built in. Spending an hour or so going through it would probably help you answer all these questions.

https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/guide/tut71/en/menu.htm

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation