BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAPPER
Calcite | Level 5
Hi All,

When I try to open an information Map in Enterprise Guide, it is taking over a minute to load.(Network speed is quite fast and also the PC's are brand new pc's with quad core processors @ 2.66 Ghz and 4GB RAM) .

I see that EG goes through a lot of steps like "Assighning libanames",
"Discovering Information Map member name","Gathering Information Map data/filter/prompts" etc.

Is there a way to speed up the process of loading the information Map or any Best Practices that I can implement to fasten the process?

Thanks
SAPPER.
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick
Opal | Level 21
Is performance of the Information Map better when you use IMS?

Just a thought: May be the query you execute just doesn't perform too well.
SAPPER
Calcite | Level 5
HI Patrick,
The information map takes approx 5 minutes to load in IMS.
I am not executing anything at this point in EG.
The problem is loading the Information Map into EG to start building the query.
-Thanks
SAPPER.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
EG uses the INFOMAPS engine to read the content of Information Maps. If you want to see which steps are taking the time, try running this report:

http://blogs.sas.com/sasdummy/index.php?/archives/177-Reporting-on-SAS-Information-Maps.html

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SAPPER
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Chris,
Sorry for the late reply, we had a major upgrade on the sas server yesterday and it was down all day.

I ran the code and figured out the obvious which is there are close to 1500 dataitems in the information Map (thhis is one map against which the majority of the reporting is done).

My question now is how do I specify EG to skip checking the data items every time I open the Information Map in EG?
Is there any option/setting that i need to apply in the auto exe file?

Any inputs would be valuable.
-Thanks
SAPPER
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
There's no way to tell EG to skip checking the data items.

You can use the INFOMAPS libname engine directly, if you want to write programs that pull data out of the maps. But you won't be able to skip the "reading of the metadata" when you use the EG "Open Information Maps" window.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
how about creating another info map with fewer columns?
is that not straightforward?
SAPPER
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Peter,
The Map is based on Joins between two databases and has close to 1500-2000 Data items .
The intention is to use the newly developed database which has all the logic and calculations that the business needs already calculated and populated in the database tables.
So we are trying to use as many calculated fields from this new database and for the one ODD field that is not in the newly created database we have to extract the data from the Old database.

The new database was created with fields (calculations) that are used more than thrice in the reports. But for fields that are used only once/ twice in any report , we have to go back to the old database and gather it from there.

Any suggestions to work around are welcome.

Thanks
SAPPER.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation