BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
astrae_research
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

It's a strange request but surprisingly interferes a lot of with the workflow and I was wondering if you guys had any insigths. I have SAS EG 8.3 Update 3 (8.3.3.181) (64-bit). When I select a piece of code using my mouse and pull the mouse to the bottom of the screen trying to extend the selection, the scrolling is very slow, non-responsive adn often i have to wiggle my mouse a bit to continue selecting the code. It wasn't like that in the previous versions of EG, it was clunky but not as bad. Any ideas on how i can increase the speed of scrolling when extending the selection using a mouse? The system is win10 64 on 8c16t system with 128gb of RAM.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @astrae_research,

I don't use SAS EG, but I remember occasional similar problems with the Enhanced Editor of the traditional Display Manager interface, where the following workaround can be used:

1. Put the cursor at the beginning of the code block to be selected.
  2. Scroll down (e.g., using the slider or the mouse wheel) to the end of the block.
  3. Left-click at the end of the block while pressing the Shift key.

("Beginning" and "end" can be exchanged.)

This also works in my SAS EG 7.15, but only for ordinary selections (i.e., including all characters between start and end of the block). In the SAS 9.4 Enhanced Editor I can add the Alt key in step 3 (i.e., Shift+Alt+left mouse button) to select a rectangular block of columns.

Edit: The same technique can be used to extend or reduce an existing selection: Just start at step 2.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm using exactly the same version of EG and don't have this problem. I suspect it could be a hardware or software driver issue. Can you try a different mouse to see if you have the same problem?

astrae_research
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

Just installed a new update to EG v8.3 update 6. Same problem. Selecting the text by dragging down the mouse past the page boundary is excruciatingly slow. I will prep a video if time permits but this is seriously painful -- one of those small QoW details that break the flow. SAS Editor is about 2-3 times faster which is better but still not at the speed of any other IDE for other languages.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Have you tried holding down your left mouse button while pressing the PgDn key multiple times to move down your program? That gets me past page boundaries a lot quicker.

Also you can very quickly select text by using the Shift and PgDn keys together. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation