BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I am trying to import multiple Excel files that are in a folder on the PC Files Server into EG 4.3.

I have used the libname and data step before to import just one file; however I am not sure how to tweak this to make it work for multiple files especially since the file names and # of files could be different every time.

I have also used the infile statement with the *.* option in a data step before to import multiple files, but the files were already on the SAS server.

Anybody know of a way to do this?

kdp
8 REPLIES 8
tbatliner
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

we are doing this with macros, similar to the code below:

[pre]
%macro import;

data files(keep=Filename);
rc=filename("mydir","C:\PathToMyFiles");
did=dopen("mydir");
if did GT 0 then do;
memcount=dnum(did);
if memcount gt 0 then do i=1 to memcount;
Filename=dread(did,i);
/* subsetting the list */
if substr(upcase(Filename),1,3)='BLA' and INDEX(upcase(Filename) ,'.XLS') then output;
end;
end;
run;

data files;
set files;
call symput('numcopyf',_N_);
run;
%put Files to read: &numcopyf;

%if &numcopyf gt 0 %then %do;
%do i=1 %to &numcopyf;
data _null_;
set files;
if _N_=&i then do;
fn=filename;
call symput('f',fn);
end;
run;
%readinexcelfile(&f);
%end;
%end;

%mend import;
[/pre]

In the %readinexcelfile macro you'll have to put your code for importing the data.

hth, Thomas
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Thomas,

I tried your code and it didn't seem to work. The first data step results in 0 observations even though there are files in the directory.

I should mention that I am running EG 4.3 on the server, so maybe that's why it can't recognize the path.

Is there a way to map the PC Files Server as a server in the Server List in EG?

Thanks for the code though, I will use it in some other application.

Thanks,
Ketan
tbatliner
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Ketan,

asking the obvious, you did change the path in [pre] rc=filename("mydir","C:\PathToMyFiles"); [/pre], did you? 🙂

Afaik the PC Files SERVER isn't a classic server like a workspace server, therefore there is no way to display it in the EG server list. What would you want to achieve by doing this?

br, Thomas
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Thomas,

Yup, I did change the path name. 🙂

In regards to mapping it in the EG server list...I was just thinking about other ways I could read the data in...just shooting in the dark at this point.

Do you run this code on PC SAS or server based SAS?

Thanks,
Ketan
tbatliner
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

we are using server based SAS with Win 64. Are you using IWA and the folder is on a different server than the workspace server? Because I just found out that that can result in problems. Does [pre] libname test "C:\PathToMyFiles"; [/pre] work for you in EG?

br Tom
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
Not sure what IWA means, but the PC File Server is on a different server than all of our SAS servers.

I tried the libname you suggested (yes, I did change the path), but the log states that the library does not exist.

Thanks,
kdp
tbatliner
Calcite | Level 5
IWA stands for Integrated Windows Authentication, meaning that you're using eg. smartcard's for authentification...

Well if EG can't find/read the folder you're trying to read files from than I guess you're having some sort of security restrictions in place. You'll need to resolve that first, PCFILES will only come afterwards...

br Thomas
kdp
Calcite | Level 5 kdp
Calcite | Level 5
You are right! I'll try to engage SAS Support.

Thanks for all your help!!

Ketan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation