BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Has anyone been able to successfully save a Canadian census data file from the Beyond 20-20 browser and import it into SAS Enterprise Guide?
9 REPLIES 9
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Did some Google searches on phrases:

+export +data +"Beyond 20/20" (or maybe +B2020?)

and found that the data can be exported using FILE and SAVE_AS technique. I expect there is a suitable "delimited" format that is compatible with SAS.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello Scott,

The problem is that Beyond 20-20 has both variable names and data full of commas and CSV is the only format that SAS will import from the browser. SAS naturally gets very confused by this.

I'm trying to find someone who has done this sucessfully in the event that there is an easy way to do it (rather than renaming all of the column headings).
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Can you be more specific about the exported data? Exactly which option for SAVE_AS did you choose, and also what options are available for you to choose from?

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Also, from scanning Internet references on exporting B2020 data, it appears that "*.dbf" (dBase) is a popular format and there are some restrictions for other exported-data formats. Using the SAS support website http://support.sas.com/ I found this link with a sample for importing DBF format data:

http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/sample/unix/access/pcff/proc_import_dbf.html

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
We actually tried every single "save as" option available and got varying results. The biggest problem is that SAS does not like the variable names (some very long with many symbols) from 20-20. The file type they suggested was the *.csv. We've had some success viewing this in other programs but cannot get SAS to accept it.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Frankly, it's just data - yes, there are SAS system limitations (most of which can be addressed, if explained).

Suggest you share some examples of the various formats encountered along with whatever SAS code you have tried, and see what feedback you get from the forum subscribers/viewers.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
It is just data. Based on what we have done so far leads me to believe that we will have to re-code all of the variable names (100's) in the import. This is feasible, but if someone has already done this (which there is no way someone hasn't), it would be great to hear their method. This is not a SAS problem, rather a lack of capacity to format in Beyond 20-20 (due to legitimate privacy protection).

Thank you for the very details suggestions. 🙂
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Like I mentioned, since you haven't heard from anyone (yet) who has done the Beyond 20/20 to SAS data transition, it may be useful to get others' technical feedback based on some specifics about your files, data-layouts, variable-name challenges, and so on. If that other type of feedback isn't of interest to you, that's cool. There are many individuals on these forums willing to help, but more detailed information about the problem and the challenge would be useful.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
deleted_user
Not applicable
That is very good advice. I'm going to wait a few days to see if I can get a response from someone in Canada actively using the software responds. After that, I'll figure out exactly what the issue is and post a much more specific question.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation