BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
reone
Calcite | Level 5
Hi to all,
I try to import the file excel in Enterprise Guide.
In the same column I have a alphanumeric String(ABCF7453) or a number(3746). When I try to import this column i obtain only the alphanumeric(ABCF7453) string and I lost the number (3746);

Is possible to resolve this problem?

Thanks!!
1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Reone,

I'm surprised at that. I would expect SAS to bring in the entire column as text rather than change the numbers into NULLs.

A thought for resolution: Export from Excel into .CSV and read from there. It's a bit more tedious, but you have more control.

Better yet, but it may take longer, upgrade to EG 4.3. Chris's team has really done a lot of work to make the Excel imports work better in 4.3.

A long shot on the cause: Your numbers are not really numbers. In Excel, if you type a leading blank in front of a number, it then treats it like a character field. If there are enough leading blanks, then the "number" is wider than the SAS text string was guessed to be and all you got were the leading blanks.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation