BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dogo23
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

I want to take the earlier occurrence of each unique ID from a table I created. As of right now, if I say min (date), I am the earliest single record coming from that table and it is applied to each row in the new table. Instead, I wanted the earliest date attributed to each of those distinct ID's. 

proc sql;
create table t2 as
select
distinct campaign_id,
min (datepart(date)) as processed_dttm format= mmddyy8.,
total_sent,
open,
click,
from t2;
quit;

Doing this, even though I asked for "distinct" ID, still applies the earliest single date (11/06/16) to every record in the new table. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Add a GROUP BY so the analysis is done by the GROUP variables. DISTINCT isn't what you're looking for in this case.

proc sql;
create table t2 as
select campaign_id,
total_sent,
open,
click,
from t2
gorup by campaign_id;
quit;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Add a GROUP BY so the analysis is done by the GROUP variables. DISTINCT isn't what you're looking for in this case.

proc sql;
create table t2 as
select campaign_id,
total_sent,
open,
click,
from t2
gorup by campaign_id;
quit;
Reeza
Super User

Note that you haven't applied aggregate functions to the remaining variables so you're still going to end up with your full table but a new variable that identifies the min date. This isn't the same behaviour you'd experience in a DBMS version of SQL.

@schlotty23 wrote:

Hello

I want to take the earlier occurrence of each unique ID from a table I created. As of right now, if I say min (date), I am the earliest single record coming from that table and it is applied to each row in the new table. Instead, I wanted the earliest date attributed to each of those distinct ID's. 

proc sql;
create table t2 as
select
distinct campaign_id,
total_sent,
open,
click,
from t2;
quit;

Doing this, even though I asked for "distinct" ID, still applies the earliest single date (11/06/16) to every record in the new table. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation